Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of Polyhydramnios and a LFD (large for dates) baby

(13 Posts)
Missmonkeypenny Sat 02-Nov-19 12:05:14

As the title says, I’m looking to hear anyone’s experience with Polyhydramnios and a LFD ( large for dates ) baby.

I was diagnosed with Polyhydramnios on Monday after a midwife referral for a large fundal height ( 31cm at 25 weeks, 34cm at 28 weeks ).
Baby is also measuring over the 95th centile for everything and was weighing in at 4lb 5oz on Monday when I was 29+5. This is all new to me as DD was 8lbs but two weeks late which put her on the 43rd centile. I have been tested for gestation diabetes and it’s come back clear.

They’ve booked me in for bi weekly consultant appointments and scans to check both fluid levels but his growth too and the consultant I saw on Monday said there would need to be a discussion on ‘when to get baby out’. I’ve also had a TORCH screening done to rule out any infection being the cause.

I’m just hoping that someone might see this and be able to offer there own experience to help me get a bit of perspective - I was okay on Monday but I’m starting to worry a bit.

elliejjtiny Mon 04-Nov-19 22:11:05

I had polyhydramnios with my now 6 year old. I was measuring huge, 52cm at 34 weeks. Then my waters broke at 35 weeks and I suddenly shrank back down to 39cm. Ds was born 2 days later weighing 7lb 2oz which is quite big for 35 weeks but not massive.

Cranb0rne Sat 16-Nov-19 19:54:06

I had polyhydramnios and baby measuring large. His abdominal circumference was off the scale! Had a few extra scans and was told about the risk of cord prolapse and baby getting stuck during birth. The birth itself was actually way easier than my first, I had him in the MLU with no interventions. He weighed 10 lbs so was fairly cuddly!

Nanmumandmidwife Sat 16-Nov-19 20:38:44

Polyhydramnios with a small baby is much more concerning than polyhydramnios with a big baby. Is it actually both? You may just have a well grown baby but not excess fluid
Someone has to have a baby over 95th centile...
Also remember that scans are only ever a subjective assessment and the baby cannot be weighed. It is a guesstimate which can be massively inaccurate.
It is correct to have been checked for gestational diabetes - what version of testing did you have?

Georgia1512 Mon 25-Nov-19 16:48:07

I had polyhydramnios with my 2nd pregnancy, but was due to my baby having Edwards syndrome, so he was actually measuring smaller, however on the polyhydramnios side I do sympathise with you as in my experience it was really uncomfortable I suffered terribly with back pains, I’d get out of breath easily and was just so uncomfortable, I ended up having an amnio reduction in which they withdraw the excess fluid, after drawing 2 litres of the fluid out I was still carrying more fluid than normal but it did make me so much more comfortable. Not sure if that’s something you could ask for? X

Georgia1512 Mon 25-Nov-19 16:50:40

Forgot to add, there were no complications from the polyhydramnios when I gave birth, apart from when my waters got broken I just about flooded the place! The midwives were really careful and Kept my son in the right place through holding my stomach if that makes sense to prevent cord prolapse x

Ivfmommy2b Sun 01-Dec-19 08:06:52

Hi. This has happened to me this week! At 35+3 baby is measuring 7.2 lbs! I passed the GTT at 28 weeks. But now they are getting me to check my blood sugars 4x daily. Seeing the consultant again after a week. I’m not sure how this will play out? X

SquashedFlyBiscuit Sun 01-Dec-19 08:10:16

I had this, and yes the waters were everywhere constantly.

Both times I went to 42 weeks and had to be induced and in retrospect with babies that were big and didnt want to come out I wish Id opted for a c section over induction....

Ivfmommy2b Sun 01-Dec-19 21:11:11

@SquashedFlyBiscuit, how heavy was your baby? I thought that they may induce me? Not let me go over?

SquashedFlyBiscuit Sun 01-Dec-19 21:15:23

One was 9 10 the other 9 14. I didnt want to be induced (cascade of interventions, especially if early.) If I was offered induction I'd now ask for planned c section instead personally.... I know some inductions arent awful though...

calpolandcupcakes Sun 01-Dec-19 21:42:52

My DC was 11lb 2oz

No diabetic issues at all, final growth scan showed me at 9lb but I measured nearly 50cm.

Midwife suggested induction but consultant said to have a section.

Ivfmommy2b Sun 01-Dec-19 21:55:20

@calpolandcupcakes oh wow. So u had a section then? I imagine a normal delivery would be difficult. Did they say what causes the baby to be so big? When did they suggest induction for? X

calpolandcupcakes Sun 01-Dec-19 22:20:45

@Ivfmommy2b

Hello,

They suggested the induction for 38+3 I think and the section was week 39.

They said I could still try with the induction if I wanted, but it wasn't recommended. At this point though my breathing was effected because of the size of my son, so I think they were being cautious.

For me I wanted the section so it was an easy decision, I was worked up because I really was humongous. They didn't pressure me though, so I suspect if you really don't want a section they will try to accommodate a natural birth as much as possible.

They said some people just make big babies, my son is very tall (3'5 and he is barely 3) he's always been very slim though.

I hope you're not worrying to much, although easier said than done xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »