Talk

Advanced search

Raised ALT and AST levels on liver function test in third trimester

(12 Posts)
Mewbookitty Mon 28-Oct-19 21:57:17

Hi all, I'm 33 weeks + 3 and just wondering if anyone has had experience with raised ALT and AST levels in their pregnancy?

I started with itchiness all over my body, which is more apparent of an evening time 3 days ago and decided to ring the midwife as my gut told me something didn't seem right and I got told to go for some bloods. My bloods came back with raised AST and ALT with the ALT being the highest however, my bile acid was perfectly fine. I went today to have further blood tests done and currently waiting on a liver scan but I have to go for weekly blood tests to monitor my liver function.

However, up until this point my pregnancy has been fine, my bloods have been fine (28 week routine showed slightly raised levels they weren't too concerned about), my blood pressure is fine and I feel fine within myself so it's completely took me by surprise. Baby is active and his heart rate is spot on although he does like kicking me right where my liver is haha.

Obviously I'm starting to feel very nervous about it all as there is so many things than can cause this and some of which are quite sinister and I'm worried about anything harming the baby and myself so anyones personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

georgiams Thu 31-Oct-19 12:04:48

Hi this happened to me my AST and ALT continued to rise and after a couple of weeks bile acids shot up and was diagnose with obstetric cholestasis x

Mewbookitty Thu 31-Oct-19 17:24:57

Thanks for replying, not that it's a good thing however that's a bit of a relief to know as I was thinking the worst! Did they end up inducing you early? X

georgiams Thu 31-Oct-19 19:44:31

Hi I was the same because I couldn't understand why my bile acids were low but apparently it can take a few weeks. I had to go in twice a week to be monitored once diagnosed and was induced at 37 + 4 xx

isurvived3under2 Fri 01-Nov-19 00:31:35

Same here. After a couple of repeat tests I was diagnosed with Cholestasis and induced at 36+6 (twin pregnancy though, so pretty much full term). I will NEVER forget the itchiness at night. I didn't sleep for weeks. Way to prepare you for baby twins...

ameliathomas84 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:09:16

Is this in UK early induction? As I've been told will have planned c section at 39 weeks but no need for early induction with oc even thou with other children I had them very early 35/36 weeks! But this was a while ago and I believe things have changed?

georgiams Tue 05-Nov-19 17:22:23

Hi, yes I was induced at 37 plus 4 was planned 38 weeks but a bed came up. This was May this year x

ameliathomas84 Tue 05-Nov-19 18:02:55

@georgiams thanks for that it's just so I know what to insist on etc as I feel 39 weeks I'm not happy with xx

Mewbookitty Tue 05-Nov-19 18:11:08

Yeah, I have to have weekly blood tests now just to check. Weirdly, my itching hasn't been too bad some days it's barely there at all but I have a scan on my liver this week also. But alongside this my bump is measuring small so I've been having growth scans and they're not concerned about his growth but because he isn't following the average line they are repeating them however, I'm only 5ft 1 and was a size 8 before pregnancy so I didn't expect a big baby 😂 xxx

georgiams Tue 05-Nov-19 18:37:47

My bump measured 3 weeks behind I was only a size 8 aswell but he was 8lb 4oz over 2 weeks early so don't think the bump means anything lol. I had to have the weekly blood tests and be hooked up to the monitor I got given a date at my 36 week hospital app my consultant told me it depended on how high the bile acids were to when I needed to deliver mine were 78 the day I was induced xx

Mewbookitty Thu 14-Nov-19 22:07:56

Okay ladies, so I've now had 4 blood tests and they show my ALT and AST's are improving and bile acids are at 1.7 which I was made up with however the itchiness has gotten worse this week, I want to rip my skin off! I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and still having weekly bloods but It's making me a little bit anxious as to what is going on in my body right now 😕

Mewbookitty Thu 14-Nov-19 22:10:29

Also had ultrasound and gall bladder looked fine however right kidney has some backflow with baby pressing on tubes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »