Talk

Advanced search

NIPT in London

(7 Posts)
user1484208407 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:02:56

I'm thinking about getting an NIPT blood test done, as I'm an older mother and also would prefer to have the results sooner rather than later. I'm aware they're not diagnostic.

I'm in London and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to the best place to go. Also, if anyone know which clinic are the least expensive, that would be interesting - I don't want all the additional stuff that sometimes gets added - the blood test is the blood test!

I'm probably going to go for the Harmony, but have also considered Panorama. If any of the others are significantly cheaper then I'll look into them a bit more.

Thanks in advance

Nanmumandmidwife Thu 10-Oct-19 10:16:42

There are so many issues wrapped up in what you have asked here!
For me the “best” place is somewhere that will talk you through the use and limitations of the test and has a back up plan for you if you had a “screen positive” result. I am aware of many cases where women have been emailed unexpected and potentially life changing news on a Friday evening with no back up.
The different brand names bring subtle differences in the way the tests work and some offer add-on tests which are of questionable validity and reliability.
Whilst I get your feeling that you want information as soon as possible, there are some strong arguments for waiting a little bit longer and doing the combined test first (the routine one everyone is offered by the NHS) along with a formal dating scan
I am happy to discuss your particular situation by private message. You may also want to look at www.arc-uk.org and www.yourmidwife.org.uk where there is more information about these issues

riceandwhisky Thu 10-Oct-19 12:28:02

Hey,
I chose the Portland Hospital, it was £450 for the Harmony test. Called on a Friday and got an appointment for Monday! Really lovely sonographer, spent a long time on the scan unlike the NHS quick 12 week one and printed plenty of pictures with no extra charge. Results came back the following week on a Monday so a 7 day wait.

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 10-Oct-19 12:39:11

It might be worth looking into the foetal medicine centre on Harley Street. It's a not for profit organisation run by Professor Nicolaides who is a foetal medicine expert and works for the NHS at Kings.

Cost wise it's average I'd say. We had a scan there, they were excellent.

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 10-Oct-19 12:43:08

https://fetalmedicine.com/harmony-test

Another advantage is that if you do have a high risk result the FMC will perform an amino/CVS at no extra charge.

CycleWoman Fri 11-Oct-19 10:22:26

I also used Fetal Medicine Centre on Harley at for NIPT. It was £500 but for me that was worth it. That included the Harmony test and a repeat of the NHS combined test (bloods and a slightly more detailed scan). I found them to be really informative and the service was super quick. Had my results 7 working days late me (combined test same day).

As mentioned they also include an invasive test in that price should you need it.

CycleWoman Fri 11-Oct-19 10:23:32

I should say, I didn’t have this test early, I had it at 13 weeks after my NHS combined test

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »