Talk

Advanced search

20 week scan showing multiple abnormalities

(39 Posts)
VeryWorriedMama Tue 06-Aug-19 17:54:18

Just had my 20 week scan today (19+6), which showed several suspected abnormalities. First they identified a 2 vessel cord vs 3. Apparently this isn’t necessarily an issue in itself, but they then said the baby is measuring extremely small - most of the measurements were off the chart (under 5th percentile except for TCD and humerus length, which barely made it on the chart)...the baby is measuring more like 17 weeks. Then was told the baby is missing the CSP in the brain, that the lenses and eye orbits were not able to be clearly visualised and that she has a possible VSD. Also, there appears to be an ecogenic ring surrounding the stomach.

I’ve been knocked for six as I previously had a Harmony scan showing low risk so was not prepared for this news today.

The sonographer had issues trying to visualise baby clearly and she was not in a good position. Even sent me to walk up and down stairs and jump up and down to get her to move. So most of the comments on the post scan report said ‘not clearly visualised’. I have an appointment with the Consultant on Thursday - trying to hold out hope that it was an issue with getting a clear scan today, but am very worried.

Anyone have a similar scan?

Kb12 Wed 07-Aug-19 20:45:30

Sorry I can't offer advice but hope it goes well with the consultant

VeryWorriedMama Sat 10-Aug-19 17:25:35

Thank you Kb12. Unfortunately it wasn’t good news, but thank you for taking the time to post.

Ivfmommy2b Tue 13-Aug-19 21:06:56

I’m sorry to read this. @VeryWorriedMama, how did it go? X

EarringsandLipstick Tue 13-Aug-19 22:46:27

So sorry to hear this @VeryWorriedMama

What have they said?

Sending you strength & love 💐

TtcanotherG Mon 09-Sep-19 22:12:33

I hope u are ok. I've been same position as yourself getting news about abnormalities. X

VeryWorriedMama Sun 15-Sep-19 23:34:26

Hi ladies, apologies for the delay in responding. I’ve had a devastating few weeks. At the follow-up appointment with the Sr Consultant, we were told that the baby had catastrophic brain abnormalities and that she most likely wouldn’t survive the pregnancy (she was already 3 weeks behind at the 20 week scan) and if she did manage to survive to birth that she’d most likely die soon after and be severely disabled. In addition to the issues with her brain, she had abnormalities with her heart, stomach, feet and hands. The Consultant thinks it’s a chromosomal issue (even though I did the Harmony test and it showed no issues). He recommended I have a termination. That was the worst news I’ve ever received and I was devastated. We agreed to the termination and I gave birth a few days later. We’re waiting on the results of the autopsy to see if we should even TTC again - I’m 43 and very worried that even if I could get pregnant again that I’m at risk for having another baby with a chromosomal issue.

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 15-Sep-19 23:37:46

I am so sorry Mama flowers

anomoony Sun 15-Sep-19 23:40:40

I am so so sorry for your loss. flowers

OneMoreForExtra Sun 15-Sep-19 23:41:02

How utterly horrendous for you. I'm so sorry. Be kind to yourself.

mumtooneyr Sun 15-Sep-19 23:43:27

Oh my god I am so sorry. I really hope you are okay. Such a shame. Your a strong lady.

CrotchetyQuaver Sun 15-Sep-19 23:45:37

Very very sad to read your update, I wish you all the best for whatever lies ahead for you.

Chickaletta16 Sun 15-Sep-19 23:46:55

So sorry for your loss flowers please look after yourself and stay strong.

Whoops75 Sun 15-Sep-19 23:48:26

So sorry for your loss.

X

mumofoneneedswisdom Sun 15-Sep-19 23:48:26

I'm sorry for your loss

CSharpLemon Sun 15-Sep-19 23:51:17

So sorry for your loss sad flowers

Nameisthegame Sun 15-Sep-19 23:55:04

I couldn’t read and run, I’m sorry for the loss of your daughter. Sending kind thoughts to you and your husband x 🌷

JJSS123 Mon 16-Sep-19 00:03:01

So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you xxx

fanniboz Mon 16-Sep-19 00:08:41

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Pippinsqueak Mon 16-Sep-19 00:10:35

So sorry x

fergusthefrog Mon 16-Sep-19 00:12:57

I'm so sorry for your loss thanks

StudentHelp Mon 16-Sep-19 00:14:58

So sorry for the loss of your daughter, had you named her?
I hope the results show that you can TTC again when you're ready, if that's what you want to do.

ViserionTheDragon Mon 16-Sep-19 00:14:59

So sorry for your loss, big hugs to you flowersflowersflowers

TreeSunset Mon 16-Sep-19 00:19:27

I’m very sorry about your daughter flowers x

heartlanddrive Mon 16-Sep-19 00:22:34

thankssorry for your loss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »