Talk

Advanced search

Early scan - don't know how many weeks

(13 Posts)
mlhs4198 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:16:56

Hi all, first ever post!
Found out last week that I am pregnant (did 3 tests as I couldn't believe it) also we weren't TTC but now the idea has settled we are so excited!!
However I am of a very high bmi (high 40s) and I don't have regular periods. I can go months at a time without a period and I can't remember when the last one was. I only did the tests as I was feeling sick everyday for a week and my boobs had been sore for 3 weeks.

I did a clearblue how many weeks one which gave 3+ weeks. This wasn't on my first wee of the day either (about 5pm) so probably means I have quite a lot of HCG so could be a lot further than 3 weeks. I called the doctors a few days ago, they have passed my details on and I haven't had any contact from midwife since.

Anyway. I've been very impatient and booked an early scan privately for tomorrow. I'm really nervous and I just wondered if anyone can answer the following questions...

1) has anyone had an early scan before with 'ultrasound direct'? How was your experience?

2) what can I expect to see if I am about 6/7 weeks?

3) could it be impossible to scan me due to my v high bmi?

4) does having such a high BMI increase chances of MC

5) anymore advice on what I should be doing as I haven't spoke to anyone regarding pregnancy yet, still awaiting contact

Thanks in advance xxxxgrinflowers

OP’s posts: |
mlhs4198 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:19:21

Also forgot to mention that I'm only 21 and this will be our first

youaremyrain Tue 12-Feb-19 21:23:02

It won't be impossible to scan you due to high BMI, I've got a high BMI and had an early scan too, I think I was 7-8 weeks and there was a tiny heartbeat. Before this there's a fetal pole which can be seen.
They might need to scan you internally (inserting the scanning wand into your vagina with a condom on it) but a private place might not be geared up for that, good luck!

mlhs4198 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:44:51

Hi,

Thank you very much. I'm just scared to death of something being wrong or having a MC and I don't know why because I've never had one before. I've got in my head that women of my size cannot have healthy pregnancy's and that it's always MC. I know it isn't but I can't stop thinking it confusedsad

unicornsarereal1 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:55:56

I had an early scan as my clear blue showed 3+ weeks ... turned out I was 11 weeks 1 day shock

They was able to get a clear picture as I had a normal scan being so far along the picture was pretty clear and no need for the vaginal scan.

Enjoy being pregnant! I found it went by so fast smilethanks

mlhs4198 Tue 12-Feb-19 22:09:21

Hi!

Oh wow! I hope I'm a lot further than I think too, at least 9 and I will be happy! My belly does feel different and it definitively feels more than a few weeks smile

Just praying all is well tomorrow. We've also told all close family and a few friends because we were so excited, don't know how I'd tell them if anything was wrong 😬

RoscoeRoux Tue 12-Feb-19 22:24:04

Congrats OP! What a wonderful time for you.

I work in ultrasound but for NHS not private. Normally at about 5/6 weeks you should be seeing a heart beat but not much else unfortunately. You should see a gestation sac and a yolk sac, and hopefully a tiny flicker of a heart beat. Please don't get your hopes up on seeing a fully formed baby (Lots of mums come to early pregnancy scans expecting this).
Regarding your BMI - It can make the abdominal scan harder so make sure you have a really full bladder before going in. NHS would offer/recommend an internal scan at this point but I'm not sure if that's something they provide at a private clinic. The nhs website has some great info for ladies with high BMI & pregnancy.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/overweight-pregnant/

Please be aware that if you're earlier than you think or the private scan is 'inconclusive' your GP will refer you to the NHS who can't take any results from a private scan into consideration and you will have to start the whole process from the start. Good luck with your pregnancy OP!

mlhs4198 Tue 12-Feb-19 22:29:36

Thank you so much! That is very helpful and useful info! They say on their website a trans vaginal scan can be done if required just seen it so at least I know they will be able to scan me smile I'm so excited for tomorrow

mlhs4198 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:05:40

Just had the scan! Ended up being internal as couldn't see anything abdominally. Dated at 7 week 3 days, saw heart beat too x

youaremyrain Wed 13-Feb-19 13:59:35

Great! Congratulations 😁

mlhs4198 Wed 13-Feb-19 22:42:12

Thank you! I'm so happy, just want to announce it to the world now grinstarxxx

mlhs4198 Fri 08-Mar-19 23:03:39

Just to let everyone know, I miscarried today at 10+5, I don't think I'd have an early scan again I think it got my hopes up too much x

Kay2705 Fri 08-Mar-19 23:20:05

So sorry to hear OP. Stay strong

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in