Talk

Advanced search

NIPT-hospital test or private clinic

(4 Posts)
Megan2018 Tue 22-Jan-19 17:34:02

Definitely having NIPT (first pg I am almost 41, DH is 45) but have 2 options, am interested in opinions on what to do.

1/ Hospital test £325, my local hospital will do IONA blood test after the 12wk scan. Not got scan date yet, but can’t book in for it until had scan. They don’t re-scan, just do the test. Pros are it is cheaper. Con is having to wait longer and if the result is bad, further along for termination.

2/ Private clinic cost £450-500. Pro- from 10wks and includes an earlier scan so have results pre NHS scan. Con - price and having to travel (nearest is about an hour).

Which would you do? Currently 6+2 so plenty of time to decide.

24deedee Tue 22-Jan-19 20:53:02

Hi,
I was in a similar position... I had already been scanned at the EPU at 6,8,10 weeks, and decided to go for NIPT - I'd booked at Fetal medicine centre for the package of scan at 10 weeks, NIPT test and then scan at 12 weeks, but changed to NHS at my local hospital when my consultant suggested it. It was £350 for safe test sent to St. George's, or £400 for FMC. I have heard that the private scans are more thorough and you also find out the sex which the NHS won't tell you...

Megan2018 Tue 22-Jan-19 22:25:15

Thanks @24deedee
I don’t think we want to know sex but it is included as optional with the blood test (not scan) at both the hospital and clinic, apparently 99% accurate.

Cariadxx Wed 23-Jan-19 10:28:09

I would go for the NHS one as if there is a problem it might be easier to get in the system etc for the next steps

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »