Talk

Advanced search

Big bellied baby!

(12 Posts)
MadamePeony Tue 04-Dec-18 16:47:10

I had a 36 week scan last week and baby is already measuring 6lbs 13 oz with an off the chart tummy!
The sonographer wasn't concerned but seeing consultant today and they want me to have fasting glucose test tomorrow. I'm nearly 37 weeks pregnant now.
Can anyone reassure me that I'm not going to give birth to an absolute beast of a baby??
Are these scans accurate? He was laying in such an awful position the sonographer said it was a difficult scan.

OneForTheRoadThen Wed 05-Dec-18 20:27:37

Hi! I had 2 big babies, measuring about the same as you. DS was born at 36+6 weighing 7lb 9 and DD at 38 weeks exactly weighing 8lb 5oz. Both mine had big tummies too and I had repeated negative gestational diabetes tests. Just one of those things.

I'd say your on track for a slightly bigger but under 9lb baby as they don't actually grow much from now so don't worry too much. Both mine were vaginal deliveries and I recovered very quickly x

Mich0027 Wed 05-Dec-18 20:31:11

I had extra scans at 37-38 weeks inc an internal scan and they said he was a big baby possibly 8&1/2lbs. He weighed 6lbs 7oz when born.

randomsabreuse Wed 05-Dec-18 20:35:42

Mine was measuring big especially abdomen. Was induced as I struggled with smaller 1st child and he was 8lb, scan 3 days before had suggested nearer 9lb but he is long, to the point I looked at him and have no idea how he fit inside me. Shoulders were nice and narrow, head was biggest bit...

Wenttoseainasieve Fri 07-Dec-18 22:15:47

I had a scan at 37 weeks which predicted current weight to be 8lb 13oz, he was born 9lb 6oz at 41 weeks so not huge. He was predicted to weigh about 6lbs already when I was 34 weeks. The birth was fine, apparently bigger babies are easier to birth as gravity is on their side, also they use their extra strength to barge their way out!

Cariadxx Sun 09-Dec-18 21:37:19

Try to remember that they're measuring the 3D circumference of the belly using a 2D image on the screen... so it's never going to be 100% accurate

MadamePeony Sun 09-Dec-18 23:14:09

Your responses have left me feeling a bit more reassured! Thank you all.

Oysterbabe Sat 15-Dec-18 19:31:33

I had growth scans throughout my last pregnancy as my first baby was very small, only 4lbs 13. They kept saying he was measuring big, the sonographer kept referencing his "cuddly tummy". They predicted he would be well over 9lbs. He was born at 40+4 weighing 8lbs 1. He did have a big head though grin

Bee4S Thu 20-Dec-18 17:40:02

Had a growth scan today because of mismatched fundal measurements between the midwife and consultant. I'm currently 32 + 2 and they have told me baby's head and abdomen measure above 97th centile so have to go for a glucose tolerance test tomorrow. I'm not feeling particularly worried about it but it was more the consultant today saying about possible complications and alternative birthing options for a baby with a big head! confused

Cranb0rne Fri 21-Dec-18 17:05:10

Hello, I had this with my second. His belly measurement was off the scale and I had the GTT and extra scans but they could find nothing wrong. He was 10 lb born but an uncomplicated delivery in the midwife led unit, so try not to worry too much.

Micke Fri 21-Dec-18 17:12:47

My second had a massive abdominal circumference - small otherwise though, and 3.5kg so not especially heavy.

No GD, and he's still the same shape at 5 - totally different to his straight up and down brother, but it's just the shape he is, there's nothing untoward going on

MaryShelley1818 Mon 11-Feb-19 15:51:38

I had repeated growth scans (positive for GD). They told me every single time he was huge with a tummy off the scale!! He was born at 39 weeks at a very average 8lbs3 and no hint of a fat tummy.
I’d take it all with a pinch of salt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: