Talk

Advanced search

Increased risk of Downs

(2 Posts)
Ellehopeful Mon 08-Oct-18 19:30:36

I had a tfmr last year as my baby boy had Down’s syndrome. It was a horrible experience and I am now 13 weeks pregnant. I had my anomaly scan last week and the nuchal fold measured 1.2mm. I felt so relieved. It was much better news than the 5.5mm we had last year. I also had the blood test and am awaiting the combined results.

I saw a consultant today who told me that as I have had one baby with Downs that my chance of having another is higher than your average lady. I wasn’t aware of this at all and I’m now petrified at what the result will be. I know it’s going to come back high and I really don’t want to have the CVS test again.

Does anyone know if that is the case? I am already at a higher risk before we even start?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
JackiePaper Tue 09-Oct-18 19:13:42

Hi, sonographer here, as far as I know there’s is a slightly increased risk of T21 if you have already had a baby with this condition as it can occasionally be caused by a hereditary gene mutation, however the vast majority of cases of Downs Syndrome are completely random and one off events so try not to worry. All the best for this pregnancy x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in