Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
septated cystic hygroma and generalised oedema plus raised nuchal(4 Posts)
I don't really know what I want from this message. Just experiences I guess.
So 13 week scan- that is what they found. I've read several studies that 1. cystic hygromas in general result in around 85% fetal death and septated cystic hygromas 98%.
Consultant today said regardless of CVS prognosis is extremely poor and so I have opted for termination. Hopefully will have results tomorrow and abortion starts Saturday.
Any experiences of medical abortions? Anyone had a successful pregnancy after this? I'm 40, so i am guessing its the age of my eggs.
I am also worried CVS will come back clear and if it does I will doubt myself, I want a termination as quickly as possible as I know it will be psychologically damaging and just want it over with ASAP.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
Our 12 week scan showed similar with 6mm NT and hydrops and as I was sure I wanted a surgical termination rather than medical we started to organise this before the CVS results came back as I just could not stand all the waiting. I’m glad we did as it can take a while to get an appointment at a clinic but in the end we got our CVS result, confirming Edwards, on the Friday and terminated the following Wednesday.
The procedure was under general anaesthetic and was fine; by that point I was relieved to be starting the healing process. It’s 2 months on now and we have a debrief and counselling coming up. Xx
I have been told it has to be medical at this stage 13 1/2 weeks- as they won't risk surgical on the NHS.
Did you go private? I don't know if I will have my CVS result by the time I terminate, I am getting very jittery about it, the consultant seemed very very sure it was a poor prognosis, but I feel a bit uneasy.
I was offered medical on NHS as well but we called BPAS as I knew I wanted surgical and it was funded by NHS. So you do have that option as well if you want it. Give Marie Stopes or BPAS a call - I was fast tracked as it was foetal abnormality. Hugs xx