Talk

Advanced search

Downs Syndrome risk 1:80 & DH

(3 Posts)
MrsFTigalar Thu 28-Jun-18 11:21:55

Hi there, I'm 19 weeks pregnant and due my anomaly scan next Tuesday. My results from the 12 week scan & bloods were 1:80 of Down Syndrome. (1:70 due to age, and nuchal fold was 1.30 mm)

As this pregnancy has followed 3 miscarriages, and we couldn't afford the Harmony test, DHnd I decided to wait for the 20 week scan, and with it fast approaching my anxiety levels are through the roof. Not because of the risk of Downs Syndrome, as I wouldn't have an issue. But because on Sunday DH said he wouldn't want to continue the pregnancy if the result came out positive.

I don't know where this has come from, when starting to TTC we obviously discussed risk factors and agreed that life changing disabilities or risk to my life would be the only reason to terminate. I feel like I can't and won't respect his opinion, but am obviously concerned for the effect that would have on our marriage and DS.

I'm at a loss at the moment, and as there's no concrete help anyone can give, mainly wanted a hand hold, advice or anything to help me keep on until Tuesday.

OP’s posts: |
RubaDubMum89 Thu 28-Jun-18 11:31:54

I'm sorry you're in this position OP and I hope your tests come back negative.

However, I think in many people's eyes Downs Syndrome would most definitely be seen as a 'life changing disability'. Hence why your DH wouldn't want to continue the pregnancy...

Gilbert82 Thu 28-Jun-18 18:25:20

Oh what an awful situation to be in sad
Have you spoken to your DH to understand why he wouldn’t want to continue the pregnancy?
We had a postnatal diagnosis of Down syndrome following the birth of our baby last year. Our little one has no medical complications and is thriving, hitting milestones (albeit slower than other babies of a similar age) and is such a joy to be around.
I hope it all works out for you and that you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy! x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in