Talk

Advanced search

12 week scan

(15 Posts)
bluees Tue 13-Mar-18 18:24:38

I had 12 week scan on Thursday. Today I received call from hospital saying " chances of having down's syndrome are higher in my case. I am really worried. They called in tomorrow to discuss the results and options in details.
I am feeling very low as this pregnancy occurred after 2 miscarriages. I am panicking donot even know what to do and how to react.

Any thoughts. Any one pleas

onemoremummy Tue 13-Mar-18 18:54:59

Easier said than done, but try not to worry until you hear more from them. “Higher” might just mean 1 in 150, which is still pretty low, or 1 in 5, which isn’t that low but still 80% of the baby not having a chromosomal disorder.

Pandapoppy Wed 14-Mar-18 04:05:37

I had the same with my first baby. Finally pregnant after 3 miscarriages, just made it past the 12 week mark and was finally getting excited when we were hit with a 1 in 5 chance of downs.

I cried a lot, I stressed a lot, I spent hours googling but nothing helps it’s a horrible time and all the waiting (which was only a week or so for us) felt like an eternity. I’m sorry you are going through this.

For us we had the amnio straight away and although a bit scary, not painful and very quick. The nurse reassured us over the miscarriage risk which at our hospital was much lower than the national average which gave me more confidence. Then in a few days we got the call that baby was clear of downs. And a week or so later a second call that all the other genetic tests were clear too.

The only positive thing to come of it was we got that extra piece of mind that things were ok for the rest of the pregnancy.

Best of luck for the next steps. Try not to stress too much (impossible I know) but remember you don’t know anything for sure until the diagnostic test results are in. You just have to get through the time between now and then the best you can.

bluees Wed 14-Mar-18 06:21:17

Thanks. Girls. I hooe i get some good news as well. Keep my baby in ur prayers. X

Elektringa Wed 14-Mar-18 08:17:33

Hi.
Don't panic and just wait what doctors will say and what options you have for further tests. We have a chance of a syndrome as well and I am 22wks. Just been told this monday! Today going for a scan and hoping to do amnio asap to rule this out.
Doctors will do their best they can for you.
It is very stressfull but try to stay calm and think positively!
Sending hug

bluees Wed 14-Mar-18 10:49:43

I am in hospital. Spoken with dr she said chances are 1-81.
She gave me three options

1. Do CVs (i am going for it today waiting to get it done any minute) accuracy rate is 99.5% with 1% chance of miscarriage

2. Wait until 15-18 weeks and go for blood test. Accuracy rate is 99%. Has to be done privately costs £500 no chance of miscarriage

3. Wait for 23 weeks scan when they do detailed screening.

I just cannot wait to know the results

onemoremummy Wed 14-Mar-18 10:54:10

Why do you need to wait until 15-18 weeks to get the blood test? You can get it done privately anytime after 10 weeks. And the risk of miscarriage is zero. I know it’s such a tough decision but 1 in 81 is still just a little over 1% chance...

Elektringa Wed 14-Mar-18 11:05:42

Hope all goes well today after that just take rest!
I am surprised about detailed scan at 23 wks, they did not say anything like that to me. Will check today whether they can see on scan anything at 23 weeks in regards ds.

bluees Wed 14-Mar-18 15:11:40

Had my test. Now waiting for results on Friday probably. Could hear baby heartbeat afterwards. So baby is fine

Elektringa Wed 14-Mar-18 15:32:49

Let us know the results. Hope all is fine!
I am waiting for my scan now, I think my heart will jump out in a minute.

bluees Wed 21-Mar-18 20:38:46

Hi all.
Had a call from hospital about results. M so glad to share that everything is fine. Baby is all well. smile

appleblossomtree Wed 21-Mar-18 20:40:17

Did they mention non invasive prenatal testing.

DonaldsTrump Thu 22-Mar-18 00:03:12

Wonderful news!!!

bluees Tue 27-Mar-18 16:42:29

Yes they did mention but it could be done after 16 weeks. I could not wait 3 more weeks

Elektringa Tue 27-Mar-18 21:07:46

Happy all is fine for you!
Waiting time is not good, just stressing out while usually it's nothing wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: