Talk

Advanced search

When was your first appointment with your midwife?

(7 Posts)
PerrieGrey Sat 03-Mar-18 18:52:12

Hi all. Slightly concerned my first contact with midwife is a bit late? I've been told I won't hear from my midwife for my first appointment until 11/12 weeks. I'm brand new to this, so might just be unaware that this is the norm!

When was your first contact with midwife?

Thanks in advance 🙂

student26 Sat 03-Mar-18 18:57:09

I had a booking appointment a week after I found out, so I was about six weeks. I THINK i had another appointment before my 12 week scan but I can't remember.

Reader1984 Sun 04-Mar-18 07:49:24

Due to my first doctors appointment being cancelled, I first saw midwife at 11 weeks. Not a problem at all. She pushed through at the hospital to get my 12 week scan done on time too.

YorkshireBee Sun 04-Mar-18 16:44:47

I've been told (by GP) I won't see anyone until 10 weeks. Sent a booking in form to the hospital about 10 days ago (I was 5 weeks at that point) and haven't heard anything back. Assuming that's normal... Also, GP said the dating scan would be at 13 weeks, not 12. Is that right? Could do with it being 12 really - we're seeing family just after that and would like to tell them!

willisurvive3under2 Sun 04-Mar-18 23:06:18

Booking appointment was at 8 weeks both times. You don't actually really need to see anyone in that particular week, but she puts the wheels in motion for your first scan etc. Provided she can do that quickly, 11 weeks might be ok, but I would give them a call to make sure.

TurquoiseDress Tue 13-Mar-18 17:17:46

My booking appointment was just before 13 weeks in this pregnancy- v similar timing to my first & second.

I'd self referred to midwife the day I got BFP around 6 weeks.
Have never had an earlier midwife/booking appt before 12 weeks.

Am at a busy London teaching hospital.

Rikalaily Tue 13-Mar-18 17:24:22

Depends where you live. In my area you can either choose the One to one service or go with the hospital and community midwives. One to one book you in when you have been allocated your midwife which is around a week after you refer yourself. I was booked in at 8 weeks this pregnancy. If you go with the community midwives they book you in the day that you go for your 12 week scan usually. Different trusts have different procedures.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: