Talk

Advanced search

1:26 risk of Downs

(4 Posts)
elefantra Mon 12-Feb-18 10:35:42

Hi everyone! Last week, I had my NL scan which, combined with the blood work, resulted in a 1:26 risk of our baby having DS (and 1:88 risk of trisomy 13/18). Naturally, we're scared, since we weren't expecting those numbers at all. I'm in my mid-twenties.

The NF was 2,90 which was a bit on the thicker side according to the midwife, and my bloodwork was a bit weird, we didn't get a lot of information on that. After googling frenetically, I found out that the beta-hcg level should be around 1 MoM, which it was - 1,20-something, if I'm not mistaken - but the papp-a levels were really low, like 0.223 or something.

I'm also a carrier of a balanced translocation. It shouldn't affect chromosome 21 (my BT is 5;6) but does anyone know if that could mess up the results, giving a false positive? If it's the bloodwork that is the problem, won't NIPT show the same issue and risk a false positive again?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm terrified of losing this baby since we suffered a loss in August, our first pregnancy, at 18 weeks due to our CVS. sad

UnderTheF1oorboards Mon 12-Feb-18 20:56:16

NIPT works by analysing tiny quantities of the baby’s DNA in your blood, the quad test measures hormone levels.

Backenette Mon 12-Feb-18 20:57:48

Go for nipt. It’s looking directly at the dna.

bookgirl1982 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:57:52

NIPT is virtually 100% and without the risk of miscarriage. I hope it give you the reassurance all is well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now