Talk

Advanced search

NIPT testing

(6 Posts)
Lilylollylola Wed 04-Oct-17 09:50:11

Had my 12 week scan on Monday. Nuchal at 2 and all else "normal" then I had bloods, received the utterly heartbreaking call today to say my bloods came back high risk. 1:67. I'm 38. And terrified. Cannot stop crying. Booked a private NIPT blood test tomorrow morning.. I don't like the risk of amino, though maybe if NIPT comes back high, I will ... I'm so scared and my head is all over the place.

MelonB Wed 04-Oct-17 17:07:15

Hi there. Although 1 in 67 may seem like really high odds to you, it's still less than a 2% chance overall. Your age also plays a factor. Have the NIPT test done as it can give you a much more accurate result. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but try not to worry too much at this stage. Once you have the results from the NIPT you'll have much more information to work with.
I completely understand how you must be feeling at the moment (I'm 20 weeks and had a positive NIPT back last week). The best advice I can give is to allow yourself a good cry and then try not to focus on the worst possible outcome....it's all out of your control at the moment and so easy to concentrate on the negatives. Look after yourself for the next few days and then deal with the results as you get them.
Sending you hugs and positive vibes and I hope you get the results you want next week. Xx

ijustwannadance Wed 04-Oct-17 17:14:45

Try not to panic. You should get nipt results back within 10 days.

I had it done at 10 weeks to be sure. I'm older than you and I knew NHS tests would say higher risk and didn't want to wait.

flowers

curliegirlie Thu 05-Oct-17 12:46:01

Hi Lillylollylola,

First of all, don’t panic yet. As other posters have said, I think age automatically cranks up the chances, so wait and see what the NIPT says.

Secondly, even if the NIPT comes back as high chance, still don’t panic! You’ll have just won the lottery!! My 2 year old DD has Down’s and is my absolute world. I can’t imagine life without her. She is doing so well - super speedy crawling, lots of standing up, we’ll on her way to independent standing, and although she’s pretty much non verbal (only says, up, down, in, daddy and her name) she has over 60 Makaton signs. Life will be different - a few more medical/therapy appointments- but always interesting. Do have a look at the Down’s Syndrome Association’s advice pack for expectant and new parents - it’s brilliant.

Also, a positive NIPT will mean the doctors etc. will be able to keep a closer eye out for related complications throughout the rest of your pregnancy. My dd was lucky enough not to have any heart, bowel or feeding issues (other than tongue tie) but the kids I know who have had heart surgery are all now doing really well.

Good luck 🍀

Lilylollylola Fri 06-Oct-17 06:51:42

I called to get the numbers from my combined. My papp-a was .275 and hcg 0.9.
Waiting for these NIPT results is hellish. X

Lilylollylola Fri 06-Oct-17 12:34:44

I have been given 1:64 t21 and 1:670 t13/18.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now