Talk

Advanced search

NHS Pre 12 week scan for IVF baby?

(8 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Mon 25-Sep-17 16:36:51

Hello, I've just found out I'm pregnant after a frozen embryo transfer. I'm trying to find out whether my first scan will be the dating scan or whether, because I've had fertility treatment, I will be offered an early scan on the NHS, does anyone know? Thanks!

moggle Mon 25-Sep-17 16:40:07

I think most ivf clinics do a scan at 7-8 weeks to look for a heartbeat and check the embryo has implanted in the right place. Have you told your clinic you got a positive test? We always had our scan booked in when we rang on test day; private clinic but they do NHS cycles too.
Congratulations by the way!!

moggle Mon 25-Sep-17 16:41:49

Sorry wasn't sure if your cycle was NHS or private; either way the early scan should be done at your clinic, rather than at your local hospital's maternity clinic. You'd be discharged to normal GP / midwife care after the early scan assuming all looks good then.

Nuttynoo Mon 25-Sep-17 16:45:12

The clinic will do your first scan. They can sometimes be persuaded to do two (one at 4 wks and one at 8 wks).

Primulas Mon 25-Sep-17 17:57:36

My sister did private IVF and had an early scan at the clinic (about 8 weeks I think) after which she was 'discharged' into the care of the NHS. Don't know if that is the same everywhere though.

junebug121 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:11:06

We had a scan at about 6 weeks at our IVF clinic. Should have been 8 weeks but I was paranoid something had gone wrong. The first one on the NHS was at 12 weeks.

Dolwar Wed 04-Oct-17 06:37:10

Nope. You'll be consultant led on the nhs as it's ivf but otherwise no special treatment

Avocadosmoothie Wed 04-Oct-17 07:50:00

Just to confirm in case anyone is reading this, you do get an extra scan on NHS. I have a scan booked at 8 weeks and the next at 12. Good news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now