Talk

Advanced search

NHS Pre 12 week scan for IVF baby?

(8 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Mon 25-Sep-17 16:36:51

Hello, I've just found out I'm pregnant after a frozen embryo transfer. I'm trying to find out whether my first scan will be the dating scan or whether, because I've had fertility treatment, I will be offered an early scan on the NHS, does anyone know? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
moggle Mon 25-Sep-17 16:40:07

I think most ivf clinics do a scan at 7-8 weeks to look for a heartbeat and check the embryo has implanted in the right place. Have you told your clinic you got a positive test? We always had our scan booked in when we rang on test day; private clinic but they do NHS cycles too.
Congratulations by the way!!

moggle Mon 25-Sep-17 16:41:49

Sorry wasn't sure if your cycle was NHS or private; either way the early scan should be done at your clinic, rather than at your local hospital's maternity clinic. You'd be discharged to normal GP / midwife care after the early scan assuming all looks good then.

Nuttynoo Mon 25-Sep-17 16:45:12

The clinic will do your first scan. They can sometimes be persuaded to do two (one at 4 wks and one at 8 wks).

Primulas Mon 25-Sep-17 17:57:36

My sister did private IVF and had an early scan at the clinic (about 8 weeks I think) after which she was 'discharged' into the care of the NHS. Don't know if that is the same everywhere though.

junebug121 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:11:06

We had a scan at about 6 weeks at our IVF clinic. Should have been 8 weeks but I was paranoid something had gone wrong. The first one on the NHS was at 12 weeks.

Dolwar Wed 04-Oct-17 06:37:10

Nope. You'll be consultant led on the nhs as it's ivf but otherwise no special treatment

Avocadosmoothie Wed 04-Oct-17 07:50:00

Just to confirm in case anyone is reading this, you do get an extra scan on NHS. I have a scan booked at 8 weeks and the next at 12. Good news!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in