Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NIPT and no NHS bloods

(8 Posts)
fempsych Mon 11-Sep-17 15:44:28

Hi

I went for an early scan (NHS) today as previous pregnancy baby was T18 and died prior to CVS at 16 weeks. We had a positives NIPT that time and v clear indications on the scan.

Today the consultant said we could do NIPT (through NHS but we pay towards it) and wouldn't do NHS screening at all apart from general stuff on 12 week screen..

Does this seem ok to people? I'm not concerned about Down's syndrome as NIPT is so accurate but I've heard about false negatives for turners/Edwards... as it's only 97% accurate so worried we'd miss it and then with no NHS bloods/risk factor wouldn't find out either...

Any opinions?

Nan0second Mon 11-Sep-17 15:45:59

Nipt is a lot more accurate than standard screening for all trisomies even though it's best for Downs. You need to do one or the other.

MaryShelley1818 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:59:12

We chose to do NIPT testing and not to have NHS testing at all. It's completely pointless when NIPT is far more accurate. Midwife and consultant agreed.

FindingNemoandDory Sat 30-Sep-17 09:04:55

Agree with above posts

Ttbb Sat 30-Sep-17 09:11:49

NIPT is great but if you still want the other testing you can do it privately for about £500 including a growth scan. I would strongly reccomend getting it, it's far better than any of the really dated tests the NHS offers.

mjas Wed 04-Oct-17 00:03:59

It depends what is meant by "general stuff on 12 weeks screen". Some of the results used in combined screening can indicate other issues, such as possible placental issues. If they are still going to do what they would do for combined screening, just don't give you odds for trisomies, then it is ok, but I would be cautious about not doing any tests.

fempsych Wed 25-Oct-17 20:43:11

sorry dropped off the thread. I meant I wasn't offered any other testing which means the other issues haven't been checked for. The team actually raised this themselves last week and have asked to do extra growth scans following my 20 week scan as the Pap-A screen wasn't done. Hope that helps for other people reading this thread.

Bluebirdsky Fri 27-Oct-17 18:51:15

NIPT is not proven to be more accurate than other tests for T13 & 18 and you are right to be cautious about having this test alone.

Every hospital has to offer you the option of NHS screening in addition to anything else the offer the usual route would be to have first trimester combined screening first and the potentially opt for NIPT based on these results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now