Talk

Advanced search

Great ob-gyn in London?

(8 Posts)
californiagirl77 Tue 05-Sep-17 20:02:36

Hi everyone, I'm new to London and am trying to find a wonderful gynecologist. I am trying for my first pregnancy at 40, and so looking for customized care to help me through a high-risk pregnancy.

I have NHS, but coming from California am used to private and personalized care so quite nervous about using NHS. Can anyone recommend a wonderful gynecologist (either covered by NHS or private)?

Also, any advice on where/how to get private health insurance? Thanks!!

Frazzled2207 Tue 05-Sep-17 20:05:09

Hello, not in London so can't help directly but are you already pregnant? If so I wouldn't worry about the nhs, I had two complicated pregnancies and apart from the postnatal ward chaos they were great.
Sure someone will be along with suggestions shortly.

Helspopje Tue 05-Sep-17 20:08:00

If in St thos region then Cathy neilson piercy is v good
All mine were looked after by Kate harding at st thos

Out2pasture Tue 05-Sep-17 20:12:50

www.chelwest.nhs.uk/private-care
my dd was very pleased with the dr.'s and care.

californiagirl77 Wed 06-Sep-17 15:21:48

Thanks so much, everyone. Super helpful. I will take a look at both St. Thomas' and Chelsea and Westminster Hospitals.

Has anyone heard about a great obstetrician/gynecologist at University College London Hospital and/or what the reputation of the doctors/services are there? It looks like it is mostly male doctors and I would prefer a female doctor.

Thank you!!

MulderitsmeX Fri 08-Sep-17 17:22:11

Emeke okaro at the Portland has helped lots of friends (+me!) With early pregnancy related bits.

Dr Mcindo at Nuada on Harley Street did my ERPC earlier this year and he was a fantastic surgeon (plus had no problems with me coming back every 2 weeks having google diagnosed myself with various things)

Both cost around £500 per consultation through bupa but I am under the impression they charge a lower fee for self pay people? Not too sure though
If you're already pregnant then you can't get bupa now to cover the pregnancy but it will cover if the pregnancy foes wrong (ie erpc) I think. Can you get insurance through you or your husband's employer? Tbh I use the nhs mostly as it's bloody fab but just use my bupa when I think I would prefer to go to Harley st etc.

I also so Dr Adrian lower who is THE guy for ASherman's investigations but was a little brusque and dismissive overall. (Bupa fee guarenteed)

I've also been to the EPU at UCL (as you may have guessed I'm a worrier) and they were amazing. Quick, kind and had the highest definition scanners that I've seen in an NHS hospital, not sure if the Dr's name but he was an English guy of far East heritage and was super!

Going to queen Charlotte's on Thurs so will report back.

If you search my username you'll see all my in depth reviews of the various hospitals.

ghislaine Fri 15-Sep-17 12:46:15

If you think you would like private pregnancy care, I would sort that out sharpish. Pre-natal care isn't usually covered until you have had 10 months on the policy.

I had pre-natal care at UCLH for two pregnancies. I saw Mr Pat O'Brien - found him absolutely fine, he's quite scientific though (not cold, but not cuddly either, just quite evidence-based in his approach) and he delivered DS1 by c-section at the Portland. The second time I had Mr Raj Rai at the Lindo Wing of St Mary's. He's usually described as 'quirky' on various forums but I gelled more with him.

In both cases, I needed a section for medical reasons so my insurance was prepared to cover it. No pre-natal cover though so I used the NHS (didn't have a high-risk pregnancy, though, it was only the delivery issue.). I had Aviva the first time and AXA PPP for the second, hence the change of hospital - insurance was through my husband's work and they changed to a lower cost option.

LAtoLDN Thu 05-Oct-17 18:31:29

I'm in the same boat - new to London from Los Angeles, will be doing a FET soon, and looking for a private OB in London.

Some OBs hold meet-and-greets; great way to see if you vibe with them. One thing to note, I've found the PAs to be quite non-responsive, usually taking 3+ days to respond to email or to confirm appointments. They also seem difficult to get a hold of via phone.

I'm still undecided. Even considering going back to LA for delivery as I'm not impressed with service for private care... maybe it's a cultural difference.

Would be interested to see who you decide to go with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now