Talk

Advanced search

Femur 6mm shorter, baby worryingly small??

(5 Posts)
chelseapritch Tue 25-Jul-17 21:20:54

I'm 33 weeks pregnant tomorrow, been having scans every 2 weeks as I've been diagnosed with the start of placenta abruption, had loads of bleeding and overnight stays plus the mix if bloody Cholostasis AGAIN!!!.

Had my scan and consultation today, and I'm in next week for a blood transfusion, and were speaking about bringing him at 34 weeks. The nurse that took my scan, told me his femur length is lower at 59.1MM but the rest of his mesurments are either fine or over what they should be.

He's having a few problems with weight gain, he currently only weighs 3LBS 9OZ, which the doctor said is very low compared to what it should be at my gestation age and means my placenta isn't working right.
Obviously I'm extremely worried. But HOW BAD are his measurements for a 33week gestational baby. Is his weight and FL actually really worrying low. I can't get it out of my head, what I've done wrong. I have a 2 year old and I have my hands full and I seem to be nesting atm even though hubby tells me to take it steady I never listen and I'm hoping this hasn't caused it 😭

Can someone help please. TIA

OP’s posts: |
chelseapritch Wed 26-Jul-17 11:56:08

Bump

OP’s posts: |
Waggily Thu 27-Jul-17 09:01:55

I have no advice but I just wanted to respond. It will be ok, the doctors know what they are doing. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

KermitsLoveChild Thu 27-Jul-17 09:09:47

I don't know too much about the rest but the weight thing could be something or nothing. When I pregnant with DS4 I was scanned often due to low amniotic fluid levels and they told me I would be lucky if he was over 5lbs and that was at 38 weeks. I was sectioned the following week and DS arrived weighing 8lbs. Scans aren't always the best for giving an accurate weight reading.

You haven't caused anything! Take care of yourself and listen to the doctors and midwives.

alteredimages Thu 27-Jul-17 09:17:35

I had extra scans with DS because they were a bit concerned about placental function. He also had low percentile femur (I think around 5%) and head circumference measurements (around 25%), as did DD. I was warned with both of them that they would be very small, around 5lbs.

They were both 7lbs 4oz, born healthy and in proportion at 39+5. As KermitsLoveChild said, scans can give very inaccurate estimates for weight because measurements are so small that a difference of a mm or so can cause a big discrepancy.

If you need cheering up have a look at all the threads where posters were warned that their baby would be a whopper and was born weighing 6lbs and vice versa.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in