Talk

Advanced search

Quadruple blood test results

(7 Posts)
NeonHalo Tue 06-Jun-17 18:38:12

I got the results of my quadruple test last week with a risk of 1:2300 for Downs Syndrome. Obviously this is considered low risk but significantly higher still than the majority of results I see on these forums and amongst friends (which tend to be at least in the 1:15,000 range.) I'm 33 and need to get a grip worrying about this don't I?

Hope not insensitive to those with high risk results, just need some reassurance really. Thanks all.

OP’s posts: |
babynelly2010 Tue 06-Jun-17 19:23:02

My combined test for dd1 at 29 was 1:40000
For ds it was 1:100000 two and a half years later.
For dd2 at 36 I was given 1:1500.
I worried the entire time dd2 was born 2 months ago and perfect.

I read that girls tend to show higher risk score for some reason and these going for amnio with no actual chromosomal abnormalities due to high risk downs score tend to be mainly girls.

There is that dna genetic test you can have for more accuracy.

HeyJupiter Wed 07-Jun-17 19:09:44

Thanks babynelly, I've read about NIPT but also feel like really I just need to get a grip rather than paying for unnecessary testing if you see what I mean. So glad you've had three healthy children smile

AlexaC Sat 10-Jun-17 18:15:36

Age related risk for Downs at 33 is 1:570, so that's the baseline. Adding in the markers from your blood test, your risk is now much lower than the standard baseline for your age, which is a good sign.

I would try not to make comparisons to other results as there are so many factors which can go into the calculations which vary from person to person, just try to look at your result in isolation, which is easier said than done, I know.

I have no idea if that helps but I hope so.

NeonHalo Sun 11-Jun-17 11:24:26

Thanks Alexa, that actually does really help. I hadn't really considered it in terms of being a better result that my age would dictate - it's so hard not to be caught up in comparing results, but you're right that it can be unhelpful to do so.

I think my worries about this say much more about my general pregnancy anxiety than the test results themselves. Thanks for replying.

StormyIsland Sun 11-Jun-17 21:24:04

Just to offer reassurance. I had 1:150 with my first one. With the second one I opted out because I found the test result so stressful in my first pregnancy. Our scan had some abnormalities though so got told he had a high risk for some kind of syndrome. Both children were born without any kind of syndrome. The midwife that rang me about the test result told me to think about it this way.. there are 150 people sitting in a room. Only one of them is the one that's going to get the bad news. How likely do you think it is that it will be you. You're odds are even smaller than mine were. Pregnancy is such a stressful time though. I worried myself to death about everything. Still do 😂 hope this helps.

NeonHalo Mon 12-Jun-17 16:49:58

Thanks Stormy, I really appreciate you replying. You're absolutely right that even so-called high risk of 1:150 is still very much in your favour. Am so pleased your children are both well and healthy. I am feeling much better about it all so thank you. The constant worry is exhausting - the minute you find out you're pregnant the more vulnerable you become I guess.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in