Advanced search

IONA/Harmony or wait?

(8 Posts)
jlr2017 Wed 31-May-17 14:36:34


I'm 38, first pregnancy and currently 9+5 (per early scan at epu). I have received my booking appointment (11th June) and 12 week scan (22nd June - so 12+6). My scan seems a long way away (relatively) and I think that's when I'll have my screening, so results would likely be around a month from now...

I'm therefore considering going private for NIPT in the interim - both due to my age and being a worrier! After a bit of a scary period earlier (hence early scan), I just want to reach a point where I can relax into this pregnancy - if that ever happens?!

I don't know what I'll do if the results show something, but worrying over what might be is not helping either. If I go ahead, I have been looking at IONA (prob at UDS) as it seems to have quicker results (plus it's cheaper).

Just looking for any advice/insights...

KTD27 Wed 31-May-17 17:15:04

Firstly congrats!
I don't know whether you ever really relax into a pregnancy tbh but I'm in the middle of an awful awful experience which would never have been discovered were it not for me going for a Nipt at 13 weeks privately just to make sure all was ok. The 12 week scan looked fine but baby is most certainly not fine.
I wouldn't hesitate in doing the Nipt again - the Iona in fact as soon as I possibly could to rule out the horrid trisomy 13/18 which my little one most certainly has.
If you can afford it - do it. Is my two pence anyway.
Good luck I am SURE you and baby will be fine.

badsquaremile Wed 31-May-17 17:45:42

Hello! I'm normally a lurker rather than a replyer but your situation is very familiar to me so I couldn't not respond... I am currently 9+1 as per an early scan and am also generally a worrier (as is my DH). My booking appt is also 11th June, and my 12 week NHS scan is 21st. BUT we decided early on that we wanted to go for the Harmony test as well, just simply because it is more accurate than the 12 week scan / combined test. So I have an appt on 10th June to have bloods taken & will receive results on 23rd June. I do realise that this is probably excessive but at the same time it will make both DH and I feel much better if the results are positive - and as far as I can tell there is no reason not to do it (apart from the cost of course). So ultimately I am saying that if you think it will make you feel better and you can afford it I would suggest you go for it. Hope that helps!

SilverLinings2014 Wed 31-May-17 20:31:54

I'm having the Panorama test on Saturday at 9+6. It can be done earlier than Harmony and has higher levels of confidence for Pateau and Edwards at 99% and is slightly cheaper than Harmony. I would have gone for the IONA test due to speed of results but nowhere local to me currently offers it.

This is my second pregnancy and I've declined the NHS screen this time as we had a 1:25 Downs risk from NHS screening for DD, which was hugely stressful. Harmony with her confirmed low risk but it didn't stop the NHS pressuring me to have an amino at every appointment (of which there were lots due to high risk pregnancy) and then taking her away several times after she was born to 'check' for Downs Syndrome.

If you can afford it, it's worth it.

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 31-May-17 20:38:30

I had the Harmony at 10 weeks as I was super anxious. My feeling was that if something was wrong I would rather know sooner rather than later so that we had more options. For us this was compounded by the fact that our 12 week scan was on Christmas Eve!

If you can afford it I would go for it personally. We also found out the sex at 10 weeks which was lovely and really helped me to bond.

jlr2017 Thu 08-Jun-17 06:57:41

Thank you for the messages. I am still worrying (not helped by feeling rather 'normal' at the mo), however after discussing with OH we've agreed to discuss with midwife at booking appointment (on Sunday) and take it from there. I think I'll still want to do IONA next week, however for OH it makes it feel more like it's part of the plan...

nightswimming1 Sun 11-Jun-17 20:08:29

If you can afford it, have it - without question. Having had pregnancies without the benefit of Harmony results, and one with, the relative peace of mind is worth paying for.
Good luck.

jlr2017 Wed 21-Jun-17 09:50:14

Hi. Thought I'd write a quick update, as we went ahead with the SAFE test and got results today. Happily they came back as low (1/1,000,000) and we also found out the gender, which is lovely (and as I predicted 😜). I'm very glad we did the test and would recommend for peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: