Talk

Advanced search

1 in 9 chance for downs and only 19

(13 Posts)
Nemox92 Mon 22-May-17 20:52:04

I had a phone call today about my blood tests coming back and being told I have 1 in 9 chance of our little one having downs, I'm 19, 20 this year and only 13 weeks gone, really shocked and nervous about everything

yousignup Mon 22-May-17 20:54:36

My daughter had a 1 in 8 chance of Down Syndrome, which went down even further. She is fine, no SN at all. I was 38 and we didn't have any testing, it was just blood tests and scans. I am sorry that you are going through this.

DarkFloodRises Mon 22-May-17 20:56:28

Have you been offered an amnio or CVS, OP?

Nemox92 Mon 22-May-17 21:07:12

Not yet as I had to phone them while I was at work so not sure weather to have the test done or not, either way it will still be loved by everyone but don't know if I can go full term without knowing for sure

CuddledUpWithMyCat Mon 22-May-17 21:07:52

Can you afford the Harmony Test?

Nemox92 Mon 22-May-17 21:10:47

What is that?

CuddledUpWithMyCat Mon 22-May-17 21:16:46

It is a private test (although a few NHS hospitals offer it) and it gives far more accurate odds. As it is a blood test, there is no danger of a miscarriage. However, a CVS would be the only guarantee for absolute certainty.

I hope you get some answers soon. This must be a horribly stressful time for you.

Hornbeamer Mon 22-May-17 22:59:32

Harmony test has quite a view different names now and some nhs trusts offer it free to high risk women. I had it done and as far as I remember it was 99.9% or so accurate. Ask your midwife or consultant.

Nemox92 Mon 22-May-17 23:54:06

Thank you all for the advice, will update when we find out, coming to terms with it now and gonna phone up the midwife tomorrow and take it from there

Nemox92 Tue 23-May-17 13:04:01

We have decided to not have the test done as it's not going to effect the outcome, I phoned back this morning and must have misheard as it's not 1 in 9 it is 1 in 19, we have decided to name the baby Hope, thanks again for the advice 😊

curliegirlie Wed 24-May-17 19:23:17

Ah, good luck with it all! There's still a good chance your child will be chromosomally typical, but even if she does turn out to have Down's, the world won't come crashing down. My Dd is 21 months and we found out she had Down's just after she was born. She is doing so well - she's absolutely healthy (no heart or bowel problems), she crawls, pulls herself up to standing, and has loads of Makaton signs, which she seems to add to each day. She has a wicked sense of humour. I'm so proud of her and wouldn't change her for the world! Do read up on the Down's Syndrome Association website - they have a fantastic set of resources for expectant and new parents.

UnderTheF1oorboards Sat 27-May-17 15:02:03

Congratulations on your pregnancy OP. That's only a 5% chance of Downs.

My DS with Downs (postnatal diagnosis) is 6 now and is totally brilliant. Don't worry! All will be well whether there's an extra chromosome or not.

KingIrving Mon 29-May-17 23:48:57

Did you have the nuchal test done? My NT was good but blood was a disaster. I was later told some women for some reason have funny alpha fetoprotein which messes with DS prognosis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now