Talk

Advanced search

On verge of panic attack... Iona test results delayed

(4 Posts)
Sim186 Thu 18-May-17 15:07:50

I just need to rant as I found out that I am high risk T21 last Thursday, did an Iona blood (NIPT) test Friday morning with the hope that the results would be back at the latest Friday 19th which is a whole seven days (they say 3 - 5 working days). I phoned today to ask for an update on the results as it has been done via the NHS hospital so communication is via them, they were not very empathetic and have told me that the estimated result is now Saturday the 20th, which means I will not know until Monday now.
Has anyone else been in the same situation recently? I am worrying and the wait is making me ill! Does it mean that the longer the wait the worse the news?
I am just miffed when some people have appeared to have received their results within 3 days of giving blood and for me it has been five working days now since I gave blood.
Sorry if I sound awful, but I am just very upset and worried about what is to come. xx

Whymeagain1 Thu 18-May-17 21:19:46

Hi, I've had NIPT twice, one last year then again this year. Both took a celandar week to get back me, despite the first lot having to go to the US, and the second only up to London. I noticed with the second one I had done that although the bloods were taken on Thursday, they weren't received by the lab til Monday, and the estimate for the turnaround was from date of receipt at the lab. I don't think the time for them to turnaround is an indicator of good/bad news, the first I had bad news, the second good.

You don't sound awful, just frustrated, which is understandable. I found the waiting for results just horrible, you can't think or focus on anything else, and your mind inevitably goes to the worst case scenario. I really hope you get the news you want flowers

UnderTheF1oorboards Thu 18-May-17 22:34:03

Hi OP, sorry to hear you're so distressed. I wish you a healthy baby and I hope you get the result you want. My own experience is that T21 is nothing to be scared of. I understand that right now you might not be ready, but you might at some point find it helpful to have a look at www.dontbesorry.net/wp/. It's a warts-and-all blog by a mum of 3, the eldest of whom has T21. Happy to answer any questions if that would help you.

GirlcalledJames Fri 19-May-17 06:14:43

I wouldn't worry that th extra wait has a meaning, annoying though it is. It could be that the volume of tests has suddenly increased or that a machine was off-line in the lab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now