Talk

Advanced search

Absent nasal bone

(10 Posts)
Katiej28 Tue 16-May-17 13:00:51

Hi there,

We have our 20 week scan yesterday, we were advised that the nasal bone hasn't developed on one side. During the 12 week scan the NT came back at 2.9mm but we were informed at this scan that the NT looks fine.

Our odds of habing a child born with DS is now 1:139. We opted to have a amnio test done yesterday afternoon and are now waiting for the results.

I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

Thanks katie

KingIrving Wed 17-May-17 02:56:34

I didn't have issues with the nasal bone, but I wanted to tell you our risk for DS was 1:49 . Had an amnio, like you, and the first results were back in 10 days and baby was absolutely fine. The whole and remaining results came back a week later. With an amnio, they don't test only for DS, but for a couple of dozens of syndromes. This was 10 years ago, so I am sure, the first results can be available earlier now.

I have never heard of just one of the two nasal bones missing. This to me suggests, the technician might not have found it. It is so tiny and in ultrasound it is very tricky to have the right angle.

Katiej28 Wed 17-May-17 07:56:23

Thanks for your reply kinglrving, we should hopefully hear back from them today or tomorrow at the latest. Its nice to hear that your results came back clear!

We had to go back in twice as the baby didn't want to play ball, he either had his hands up or had his back to us..

Fingers crossed xxx

CrunchieFeeling Wed 17-May-17 07:58:33

Fingers crossed Katie

KingIrving Wed 17-May-17 08:40:29

Fingers, toes, legs, let's cross everything! Sending good vibes from Australia!

Whymeagain1 Wed 17-May-17 08:48:27

Hi, I had an amnio last year and the initial results were back within two working days, so hopefully you won't have to wait long, which ties in with what they've told you. I know how worrying it is to have a high risk factor, So please look after yourself. The nasal bone is only one marker of many for Down syndrome, plus your risk factor, although in the high risk spread, is near the 1:150 cut off, and your NT is now normal so hopefully you will get good news very soon. Take care.

Katiej28 Fri 19-May-17 14:00:55

We received our results back today and it was good news!!! Thank you all for your kind supportive words. Xxxx

CrunchieFeeling Fri 19-May-17 20:02:48

Oh that's lovely news!

CrunchieFeeling Fri 19-May-17 20:02:59

Oh that's lovely news!

KingIrving Fri 19-May-17 21:36:55

I am so happy of you Katie! What a relief. Enjoy the pregnancy! And all my best wishes.
Thank you for updating, I was thinking about you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now