Talk

Advanced search

Was your 20w gender correct?

(10 Posts)
Familyof3or4 Wed 10-May-17 21:32:21

Today had 20w scan and told a boy. Was wondering I should get rid of all the girls clothes I have or if there is any chance the sonographer could be wrong?

elQuintoConyo Wed 10-May-17 22:50:39

Mine was correct.

I had bought some neutral clothes already and just continued to do so, mostly H&M, bright colours - they hide puke better grin

We aren't hugely into gendered clothing and friends/family bought useful things (towels, teeny nail scissors, bath toys etc).

A student of mine (i teach adults) was told boy, went the whole hog and everything was blue and/or covered in things like rockets and tractors, including the nursery. She had a girl. It happens.

elQuintoConyo Wed 10-May-17 22:51:02

Oh and congratulations grinflowers

StarHeartDiamond Wed 10-May-17 22:58:43

It's very rare but it does happen occasionally. They are hardly ever wrong though. If you wanted to make sure, you could book a private scan.

I did gender neutral for my dcs, creams and whites. Looks gorgeous on newborns smile

And congratulations!

GirlcalledJames Thu 11-May-17 09:00:42

Our 11 week scan was correct for the gender even. But there's always a chance and anyway the number of babies born with ambiguous genetalia isn't insignificant.
Any advantage to getting rid of the clothes now rather than later?

ems137 Thu 11-May-17 09:57:34

It's much less likely for them to say it's a boy then turn out girl than the other way round.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 11-May-17 09:59:55

Ds was a dd at 20 weeks. And at 22 weeks. .
At 40 weeks he arrived a ds!!

Anatidae Thu 11-May-17 10:05:56

THey don't tell you the sex where I live 🙄 We had nipt , not to find out the sex but it was included so we did it. That's 99. Something % accurate.

An ultrasound is about 95% accurate at 20 weeks in general. Obviously some are easier than others - ds was curled up very coyly in the corner but some babies are wafting their willies around gleefully and it's pretty obvious what they are

Kids clothes here (Sweden) are generally gender neutral anyway - I rarely see girls in pink frilly stuff. They're outdoors in all weather at nursery and school so they all wear practical clothes and coveralls. I'm actually not even sure if some of my kids friends are girls or boys ....

Congratulations!

ForTheMany Sun 21-May-17 07:44:18

Mine was wrong - NHS told me a boy and I had a private scan later to be told it's definitely a girl.

EdithWeston Sun 21-May-17 07:46:51

Yes, the sex was correctly identified for all three - I was having extremely detailed scans in centre of excellence, so there was an enormous degree of confidence about what was seen.

They're all teens now, and I am confident that their gender matches their sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now