Talk

Advanced search

Toxoplasmosis

(22 Posts)
Thingymaboob Tue 09-May-17 17:59:33

I have three cats and regularly eat out. I am using all the usual precautions but I cannot control everything. Is there any benefit in me being tested? I am feeling very stressed about some recently eating unwashed spinach at a local city farm!!

GirlcalledJames Tue 09-May-17 21:14:24

If the testing found that you had already had it, you could relax as you wouldn't need to worry about getting it again.

Thingymaboob Wed 10-May-17 20:17:49

Thank you for your reply.
Has anyone had the test for toxoplasmosis? Or any experience of it during pregnancy?

nightswimming1 Wed 10-May-17 20:23:03

I insisted on it (and cmv) when I had my pregnancy bloods, although I had private care so my obstetrician was happy to chat it through and add on some extra blood work. It is routinely tested for in other countries e.g. France. If they find out you had a primary infection in pregnancy I believe you can be treated but outcome varies. Same with CMV.
Sadly I am aware it can be utterly devastating if caught at the wrong time although I was fortunate never to catch it myself.
And the PP is right, if you're immune you can stop worrying.
Apparently it is more often caught from rare/cured meat or unwashed salad than cats.

Floggingmolly Wed 10-May-17 20:26:10

Most people with cats have been exposed at some point and so have full immunity. I'd have the test just to put your mind at rest. (for the rest of the pregnancy, I mean, I wouldn't worry about the spinach)

GirlcalledJames Wed 10-May-17 21:23:14

How far along are you?
Where I live, they test as standard at week 8.
If your cats hunt and you changed their litterboxes before becoming pregnant there's a good chance you were already immune from the start.
Nobody can eliminate all the risks, it's just about reducing them and it sounds like you've got that sorted.

Thingymaboob Wed 10-May-17 21:32:26

I'm 5 weeks. They are outdoor cats but they're terrible hunters. They've never brought a mouse or bird back!

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 10-May-17 23:35:51

Chill out. The spinach won't have done you any harm whatsoever. Your baby is the size of a sesame seed and there isn't even a placenta yet.

GirlcalledJames Thu 11-May-17 08:56:20

Not to gross you out but they might be eating their prey before they come home!
As you are so early in the pregnancy, getting the test could really put your mind at rest.
But as Biscuits said, at this stage no need to worry. Many people at 5w might not have realised they are pregnant and are still eating sushi etc. so you are in a good position.

nightswimming1 Thu 11-May-17 10:06:11

Sushi is fine when previously frozen.... have the test OP because then you know to avoid the litter as much as possible if you are t already immune. And take special care with eating out etc. I am sure spinach was fine, it's the commercially produced stuff you have to worry about.

babynelly2010 Thu 11-May-17 10:25:10

I tested for this in my prepregnancy check up obviously was done in another country as nhs don't seem to do these.
I had cats all my life and at that time we had 3. I was shocked to find out that I never had it. My dh cleaned the litter box during all of my pregnancies.
ate sushi, runny eggs and unwashed vegetables by mistake few times.

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 11-May-17 10:41:04

You can eat sushi and runny eggs. Please don't suffer through your pregnancy for no reason!! smile

Thingymaboob Thu 11-May-17 13:47:04

I've got a telephone GP appointment on Monday which I'll ask for blood tests. I'm a bit concerned they'll be resistant to me having them done. Anyone had any experience of trying to persuade Drs / midwives to test for this?

ScotsLamb Sat 13-May-17 18:48:29

I was lambing up until I was nearly 4 weeks pregnant. We've had toxoplasmosis on the farm before so I'm guessing I'm immune. It's very rare but feel I'm much more likely. Partner is the cleanest he has ever ever been as he isn't allowed near me without showering.
Your booking in bloods can be tested for toxoplasmosis so just ask and the midwife will tick the box.
There is less than 5% chance of todo being transferred to baby in first trimester.

Thingymaboob Sat 13-May-17 19:58:03

Thanks scotslamb.

ScotsLamb Sat 20-May-17 15:11:50

Ok so new midwife says that my blood won't be tested for toxoplasmosis unless I am feeling ill. Sorry that doesn't help anyone. I'm the next door local authority the will test for it.

Floggingmolly Sat 20-May-17 15:16:27

You can have it done privately...

allegretto Sat 20-May-17 15:20:03

I was tested throughout my pregnancy as Iive in Italy where it is the norm. My cat sadly got infected with toxyplasmosis and died while I was pregnant shock but I still didn't get it.

Doublechocolatetiffin Sat 20-May-17 17:22:48

I had it done privately, it cost about £100. Sadly I wasn't immune.

Thingymaboob Sat 20-May-17 17:33:16

@Doublechocolatetiffin
Where did you get it done privately?

Doublechocolatetiffin Sat 20-May-17 20:30:58

Just a local private GP practice, most seemed to do blood tests. I just called around to see what they charged and went with the cheapest.

Thingymaboob Thu 08-Jun-17 20:16:16

My midwife agreed to do the antibodies test. Just got a nervous wait now confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now