Talk

Advanced search

Help interpreting combined test results

(3 Posts)
lalaear Wed 29-Mar-17 14:19:09

Hi,
Just hoping for a bit of clarity following our 12 week scan from people who are a bit more knowledgable than me!
I have just turned 41 and this is our third baby. My other children were born when I was 38 and 39 so I knew my combined testing results for T21 were going to be higher risk.

Background risk: 1:84
Adjusted risk: 1:222
Free beta HCG: .7106 MOM
PAPP-A : .7534 MOM
NT: 2.60 mm

I know that the 1:222 puts me in the low risk category but I cannot help but worry a little about the figures.
In particular the NT figure as this seems high to me.
During the scan I had both children in the room so spent more time concentrating on them and didn't feel like I had a chance to ask for explanations - hence the slight feeling of not knowing the full story.

Any input would be much appreciated. smile

MintyVixxxx Thu 30-Mar-17 23:58:15

Not much advice to offer but can share my experience, which is a positive one.

One of my twins had an increased nuchal of 6.1mm. This combined with my bloods gave me 1:14 risk of DS and 1:28 for Pattau and Edward Syndrome. I'm 35. Had NIPT done at 13 weeks which gave me the risk results of less than 1/1,000,000 for all 3 syndromes. I later had an amniocentesis anyway for other reasons and it came back all clear.

My twins are now 12 weeks old and there's nothing wrong with either of them! Sometimes it can be 'just one of those things'.

Your NT measurement isn't high in my opinion. To ease your worry, would you consider a NIPT? I kept being old that the question really is whether you would do anything differently if the results did pick something up xx

lalaear Fri 31-Mar-17 07:36:08

Thanks for replying Minty and telling me about your experience. I am so glad that you had a positive outcome and hope you are enjoying life with your two little people!

We decided to go for the screening test to try and take away the worry and am now waiting for the results. Hopefully they will be back early next week with positive news.
For us, the outcome of it will affect the decision going forward which is why I am so anxious about it.

I keep telling myself that for my age, my adjusted risk is pretty good - I think it works out to a 99.95% (so a gamble most people would take) but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that somebody has to be that .5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now