We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does the downsyndrome screening take into account early bleeding?

(7 Posts)
Ourbabby Fri 17-Mar-17 09:37:58

Hello lovelies

I'm 24 years old.

So since yesterday after getting a letter saying I was low risk 1:390 for my downs result, I have been none stop researching. I understand that this result only means a 0.28% chance of the baby having downs but the thing that concerned me was how low my ratio was compared to friends and family who were hitting the thousands.

I lookEd into what they might take into account in the downsyndrome screening. I had my bloods taken and the nuchal fold measured on the scan.

I came across very limited information so was wondering if anyone could tell me if bleeding in pregnancy can contribute towards your results?

I had a very small bleed at around 6 weeks pregnant which I went to hospital for. Everything turned out ok.

Are there any other factors that may contribute to a higher risk?

If anyone has any knowledge or insight on this I'd greatly appreciate your sharing!

Thanks xx

AveEldon Fri 17-Mar-17 12:14:49

Here is some info

www.wolfson.qmul.ac.uk/service-1/antenatal-screening/screening-tests/calculating-the-risk-of-down-s-syndrome

Did the hospital give you the details of the blood results?

PotteringAlong Fri 17-Mar-17 12:17:57

My friend had a 1:10,000 result. He son was born with Down syndrome. If you want a definite answer you need a different test.

Ourbabby Fri 17-Mar-17 16:41:47

Thanks both. The docs didn't give me my blood results only my NT scan measurement which was 2.7mm. I only know this because i heard them say it at the ultrasound while measuring.

It took forever to get an accurate measuremenr and they actually said id have to come back for another scan until they eventually very suddenly found it. I'm therefore not actually convinced they got an accurate measurement.

I would go for another test if the risk was higher but as it stands there is only a 0.2% chance of downsyndrome and I don't think that's enough to warrant the invasive test with the needle, or spending over £500 (that I don't have) on a private none invasive test.

Either outcome I would continue with the pregnancy anyway smile

Xx

Writerwannabe83 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:13:01

When pregnant with DS (aged 30) I had bleeds at 6, 8 and 10 weeks and my Down's Syndrome result came back as 1:90,000. I think my NT measurement was only about 1.4mm though.

I'm pregnant again now (aged 33) and my NT measurement was 1.5mm and my risk was 1:35,000.

As has been said, there's only one way to find out for definite. Prior to our results we had considered doing the NIPT testing but then decided against it because our numbers were good.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope it's a stress-free journey flowers

SuziePink Mon 20-Mar-17 19:49:05

Bleeding will affect the blood tests if it's recent. If the result wouldn't affect whether you would continue the pregnancy then why stress about it? There are further blood tests they can do in the second trimester and they can look at soft markers on the ultrasounds such as the presence of a nasal bone, femur length, cephalic index and more. They can also look at the heart and see whether there are any other structural issues indicative of chromosomal problems. However, if you want a definite answer then you will either have to shell out £400 or opt for an amniocentesis, which the NHS might not do for free given that you're low risk.

I think the main thing is to not worry and enjoy your pregnancy, particularly as you've said it doesn't matter either way.

BettyOBarley Mon 20-Mar-17 19:58:04

I had a 1:20 result so did a LOT of reading on this and I think bleeding only affects the result if it was very recent to having the test done not 6 weeks before.
We had the harmony test and would thoroughly recommend but just try to remember that your result is still low risk, the number doesn't really matter in a way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now