Talk

Advanced search

FFN test - advice please?

(19 Posts)
user1489416807 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:02:28

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long post!
I'm currently 27+4 with number 4. (2 dds 9 and 4, one ds, 7) dd1 normal healthy pregnancy, born at 41 weeks. With DS my waters broke at 30+6 had him at 31+5. With DD2 waters broke at 32+5 had her 32+6. Because of the pre term births im currently under a consultant as it was never discovered why my waters broke. I was told at my 26 week appointment that at 29 weeks I will have the FFN test. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this, what it entails and if it is accurate? I'm terrified of this baby coming premature too, and if it's an invasive test then I don't know if I will go ahead. I've had no information about it at all. Thanks for reading 😊

Rainbow1987 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:18:25

Anyone please?

McBaby Tue 14-Mar-17 02:55:32

I have had it with both dds due to premature contractions. Mine has always been negative so they have sent me home and told me to come
back of contractions start again then been retested.

It's a quick swab test to see i the hormones present in labour are there or not. They can do the results very quickly i.e. In a hour or so so they can try and stop labour if needed.

verytiredmummy1 Tue 14-Mar-17 03:17:13

I had a positive one at 30 weeks.

Apparently if it's negative it's very reliable but if it's positive its accuracy is questionable. My consultant said they always hope for a negative as this can be trusted. Good luck X

Rainbow1987 Wed 15-Mar-17 11:59:07

Thanks ladies. I've been panicking a bit about it lol. Fingers crossed then that it's negative. I have already had a show and some slight pressure down there but tried to contact midwife and she didn't return my call. Fingers crossed for next week! Just didn't want it to bring on labor lol x

iwasagirlinavillage Wed 15-Mar-17 13:05:00

I had one with DD2 after DD1 was born at. 28+1 and I started having contractions. Around 24 weeks it was negative with a level of 17. Anything over 50 is positive. At 33+2 I was having contractions so had one then and it was 433. I delivered at 33+4. The doctor said the same thing about a positive not being definitive but a high level was a good indication that you would deliver within 48 hours. And I did.

The test itself isn't comfortable - it's an internal without lubricant as the lubricant would interfere with the fibronectin and wouldn't give an accurate reading.

Rainbow1987 Thu 16-Mar-17 09:15:14

Oh god it doesn't sound nice. Hope both your little angels are ok now. After my preemies I think I'm just paranoid that it will happen again. I was never offered the FFN with DD2 so I'm wondering if it's relatively new? Xx

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 16-Mar-17 12:11:39

I think it is relatively new for it to be used in the way it is now where you can get an almost instantaneous result. It used to be that it had to be sent off but now it can be assessed on most maternity units which is more useful than having to wait a few days for results. Tommy's had some information about it on their website.

Rainbow1987 Thu 16-Mar-17 12:38:16

Oh I will have a look thank you. Been to see midwife today and she's concerned that baby may be arriving soon so I've to go up to DAU this afternoon. Please keep your fingers crossed lol xx

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 16-Mar-17 13:49:24

Oh no. Why does she think that? How many weeks are you now?

Rainbow1987 Thu 16-Mar-17 13:52:22

Well I had a show last week, then another on Monday with some slight spotting and pressure in my pelvis (have tried to get in touch with midwife but she never returned my calls as I had an appt today!!) anyway had my appt today and she said baby is 4/5 engaged and is concerned that she could be on her way! Hubby away with work at moment but is on way home so he can have others while I nip to hospital. I'm 27+6 and very anxious at the moment. Xx

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 16-Mar-17 13:58:04

Oh, I'm thinking of you rainbow. Have you had any contractions? They were able to delay labour for me with DD2 by a couple of days so they could get the steroid injections in. I know she was further anyway but it really did make a huge difference.

We're here if you want to talk or a hand hold.

Rainbow1987 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:01:34

Thanks so much I appreciate it. I had steroids with both of my other preemies. They didn't work very well with DS he was born with pulmonary stenosis and with DD2 I had them and she had no problems. I haven't had contractions as such, just slight tightening that I put down to Braxton hicks. I'm really hoping that it's a false alarm as it's far too early for her to come now, and she's measuring small on her growth scans (under 10th centile). Thank you again for your support it does mean a lot. Xx

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 16-Mar-17 14:47:41

I hope you don't have to wait long to be seen. I'd have thought with your history you won't. Thinking of you.

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 16-Mar-17 18:41:18

I hope you're okay Rainbow.

cornflakes91 Fri 17-Mar-17 06:39:25

Negatives can be trusted as reliable but positives could go either way is what I was told. My second was born at 32+4 after PPROM so I had two FFNs done in my third pregnancy I was told both were strong positives which caused me no end of worry despite knowing positives were unreliable but she ended up staying put until 40+2 so try not to worry too much if it is positive.

Rainbow1987 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:00:11

Oh no @cornflakes that's awful.
@girlinavillage thanks so much. Finally got home at 11.40 last night! Dr said she's satisfied I'm not going into labour before seeing consultant next Friday. Thanks again for your support xx

iwasagirlinavillage Fri 17-Mar-17 19:09:16

That's good news. How are you feeling now? Did they do the FFN yesterday?

Rainbow1987 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:51:51

Still feeling some pressure down there, but I'm ok thanks. No they didn't do the FFN they just popped me on the monitor kept me there for a bit then sent me home late last night. Hope you're ok xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now