Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Harmony Test - the dreaded wait and nerves

(17 Posts)
Pen88 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:09:37

I've just had the chat with my midwife as I'm 1 in 100, again probably seems nothing to people below that but I'm really freaking out and can't control my upset. NT all fine but bloods showed up as high risk . We have the harmony test on Monday hoping for speedy results, we want to know the sex but is it right for me to ask to only know the sex if baby is not DS positive ? We've already made the decision that us personally couldn't continue the pregnancy but wow my head is everywhere. Anybody know how long the results take ? Nottinghamshire here x

sweetchilli77 Sat 25-Feb-17 13:21:22

would it make a difference if you knew the sex either way?

I had harmony after 1in5, measurements all fine just blood.

Came back all good, took 3 working days for results and was told the sex.

Pen88 Sat 25-Feb-17 14:19:14

I think it would make it harder for me as we wouldn't be able to continue the pregnancy if the baby had DS , just a personal preference. That's really good news, makes me feel better!

Gurraun Sat 25-Feb-17 17:00:15

I am sure all will be fine. I totally understand why you don't want to know if you have a hard decision to make (sure you won't). I sadly did end a DS pregnancy and it would have been even harder to know the gender - just because it makes the baby even more real.

Anyway if it is like the Iona test I had, if you ask to know gender it appears on the lab report so you would know even if the test was bad news. I therefore wouldn't ask and find out later when you are certain all is ok.

Good luck

NinaMarieP Sat 25-Feb-17 17:04:20

Wishing for good news for you. I was 1 in 34 but I don't think the exact number matters - if you're "high risk" then you're likely going to be devastated and worried. I cried for four days - right until I got the all clear.

My midwife told me the results and then asked if I wanted to know the gender. Obviously the call may go different to that if the result is not a good one but either way you'll get a choice to find out and you can say yes or no. They won't know if you'd have had a different answer based on a different result iyswim.

Pen88 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:23:22

It's such an awful time with a mix of emotions! I keep panicking like what If I'm that number 1? The scan shows a healthy baby , all measurements normal & no obvious signs with that ( I've googled the nasal bone and all that ) both my mum and mums sister the bloods showed up something but perfectly healthy babies , maybe we just have something weird in our bloods! So as above I could even find out in 3 days ? I'm hoping to leave a note saying please pass on gender details if the results show low risk if that's possible ? I would like to think so after paying £400! I'm assuming they call me and tell me, my test is at mothercare in Nottingham.

Thanks everyone xx

zambean Sat 25-Feb-17 18:52:48

They will phone you, and they will give you the results for the trisomies first. Having done that, they will then say "do you want to know the sex?" At which point, you can say no, if it has been bad news.

I completely understand - I would not want to know the sex if I were planning to terminate.

The odds are well in your favour, and it's especially good news if the scan was good, I think. If it's all about your age plus the bloods, you should be optimistic. That's a better scenario to be in than a terribly high NT measurement. (That's where I was - normal NT, but high HCGb plus low PAPP-A, plus my age, all gave me a 1:23 score. Was the worst week of my life waiting for results, but they came back all clear).

Pen88 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:36:51

Ok that's great. Thank you Zambean! I'm glad you had good happy results xx

kep1979 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:04:17

I had Harmony test yesterday and was told results were taking five working days from receipt in London. Good luck, the waiting is horrible!

Pen88 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:14:37

Thank you Kep1979, hoping it's 5 days rather than anything longer. Good luck to you too & keep us posted x

Pen88 Thu 02-Mar-17 11:20:52

Hi everyone . Had the nipt test on Monday , so just waiting now. In the end we didn't opt in for the gender screening as I felt we could find this out at a later date all being well . Just wondered though , as they will be checking for turners , will it be pretty obvious from the results if it's a boy or girl from the turners check or not ? Thanks x

offbeatgirl Thu 02-Mar-17 18:27:48

If the baby has turners (very unlikely given your low nt score) then yes, you'll know it's a girl as only girls are affected. However, a negative result for turners gives no indication of your baby's sex. Hope that helps, and hope you get reassuring news soon. flowers

Pen88 Mon 06-Mar-17 14:35:16

Hi everyone - just to let you know we had our news this morning ! Healthy BABY ❤❤❤ 1 in 10,000 for all three! I had to phone up in the end as I was so anxious ! Best feeling ever. We find out baby's sex in a few days too . Thanks for all your lovely words and support xxx

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Mon 06-Mar-17 14:38:34

Great news, what a relief for you, flowers!

Kikide Wed 15-Mar-17 08:13:00

I got told last wk I was high risk downs 1 in 5 chance my by was normal but my bloods was not hcg of 2.6 and papa 0.29 I'm so worried and cried so much. We decide we would have the serenity test as I was not willing to risk my baby with an amnio I'm currently waiting for my news praying and hoping all is fine but understand it might not be it's causing a lot of upset for me and my hubby as he did not won't me to have NHS blood test to start I feel so guilty I just hope all is well but will be keeping either way wil be loved just the same but I am worried as already have an autistic son who needs lots of care . Plz cross ur fingers for me x

Pen88 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:29:26

Fingers crossed for you! My friend was 1in5 & she has a healthy baby boy coming in June! Keep us updated xx

Kikide Wed 15-Mar-17 08:43:57

Thank u so much I should find out next wk it's a horrible wait x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now