Talk

Advanced search

nipt

(4 Posts)
cmsmithyes Sun 29-Jan-17 13:25:10

i am looking at privately having the nipt. age 40 and currently 9 weeks+6. obviously foremost want to know about the chances of health problems. have read loads of posts on here about accuracy of results and great outcomes for everybody, which puts my mind at rest. but very interested in finding out the gender. are the tests at just 10 weeks really accurate with the correct sex. i have also heard that a lady with an over weight BMI can effect results, has anyone heard of this and if its connected to the risks or gender part of the test. thanks for any info xxx

eastegg Wed 01-Feb-17 11:49:10

Hi cm, congratulations. Why don't you wait for your 12 week scan, because if that gives you really low risk for trisomies then that may focus your mind on whether you want to bother with NIPT just for gender? Alternatively depending on screening results at your scan you may be offered NIPT for free. My hospital, kings in se London, offer Harmony if risk of T21,18 or 13 come back as between 1:100 and 1:1000. Obv you would hope for even lower than that but realistically given your age it might not be.

Hope that didn't sound rude btw, I'm 42 myself and 14 weeks at the mo, waiting for harmony results actually!

louised7865 Wed 01-Feb-17 13:42:07

Hey was wondering can anyone help im panicing about all the question the midwife will ask at first appointment can anyone remember esp the 1s about partner etc

cmsmithyes Wed 01-Feb-17 15:59:36

thanks for reply. not rude at all. just so much to think about being older. can i ask is that the route you took, starting with the 12 week scan, then a free nhs test. dont believe we can get it in our area though (gp did not think so anyway.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now