Talk

Advanced search

What tests are available?

(3 Posts)
Acornacorn Sat 28-Jan-17 14:41:46

This morning I got my BFP grin
My DH is the anxious type so he's already said he'd like us to have any tests available - and we'll go private if we need to.
I know about the Harmony test and others that check for chromosomal abnormalities. Are other tests available?
And how early can you have a scan from? My cycles have been very irregular so I'm wonderingly if my last period was actually just spotting as it was very light so I'm not sure when I conceived.

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:17

Congratulations!

Harmony is the only private test I know of.

I guess you could pay for a private CVS and have a full array CGH which would look for rarer chromosomal/genetic abnormalities. However obviously that is an invasive procedure with a miscarriage risk. Also it still won't pick up rare/subtle genetic issues, nor will it pick up non genetic issues such as autism, epilepsy etc (no test will do that).

You can have a scan from about 6 weeks iirc although from 8 weeks is better as then there should be a heartbeat which is more indicative of whether the pregnancy will proceed.

Acornacorn Tue 31-Jan-17 22:32:46

Thanks for the advice, @minipie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now