Talk

Advanced search

nasal bone not visible at 11w4d - your experience?

(3 Posts)
Lykke1000 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:10:57

I am 35yo and had my 12week NHS scan, but the baby measured 11w4d. Everything else was fine, but the sonographer couldn't see the nasal bone. And this is one of the Downs markers. She didn't even bother writing it down in the results.
The combined test came back low risk (1:30 000) and nuchal fold was 1.3 (but the baby was only 11w4). I've tried to chase the midwife about it, but haven't got hold of her. Am I entitled to another scan? Don't want to wait for 8 weeks :S What would you do?

zambean Wed 25-Jan-17 08:56:08

The fact she couldn't see the nasal bone doesn't necessarily signify anything on its own, and the rest of your results look good. But of course, that won't stop you worrying.

Have you considered NIPT? Can you afford it? Will be be about £400-£500, you get results in a week.

aAz0 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:42:47

the absence of a nasal bone used to be a soft marker for downs but isn't anymore. 1:30,000 risk is really really low. The fact that you were only 11+4 weeks doesn't make much of a diffrence I'm afraid, the accuracy of the measurement at 11 weeks is the same as at 14 weeks, all NT measurements are audited so I wouldn't be worried about you receiving n incorrect measurement. I doubt you would get another scan before 20 weeks unless the were very concerned about something in your PMH.
I would try to enjoy your pregnancy, even the NIPT isn't 100%.
Hope this helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now