Advanced search

High risk blood results

(5 Posts)
Roseandwine Sun 21-Aug-16 06:02:00

Am currently 13 weeks pg and
have just received the results of my private blood screening which has come back as 'High risk' for trisomy 21, (a 1 in 28 probability).

I am very, very worried. This pregnancy comes after a number of miscarriages, and I suppose I thought after so much heartbreak that this would be my 'happy ever after'.

With this result my next move is amniocentesis - with its 1% chance of miscarriage, but I can't have this until week 25, so 2 more weeks of mental torture. I would choose amnio over CVS because the tissue of the placenta (which is tested in CVS) can at times be different to the foetus, and as amnio tests the fluid around the baby it is 100% correct information. This is what I need because of the difficult decisions that would be made on the basis of those results.

I am hoping against hope that someone out there can tell me that despite high odds that their amniocentesis showed a negative result, despite their harmony/nifty - private dna blood screening, showing a high probability. (Not the NHS tests which are more usually inaccurate being based upon scan measurements and horemones blood count.)

I seem to have signed this long awaited and, up until now, easy pregnancy off already, and what I need right now is hope!

DifficultSituation999 Sun 21-Aug-16 11:49:29


Sorry to hear you are going through a stressful time. What markers do they look for in private blood screening? I imagine they didn't sample fetal DNA, or they would have been able to give you a definite result, rather than a 1:28 probability?

Did they look at PAPP-A and HCG? Did you have an NT measurement done?

For what it's worth, my odds (NHS screening) were worse than yours (1:9), and my baby's amnio was all clear.

Good luck!

LondonRoo Mon 22-Aug-16 15:41:55

1 in 28 is a 3.57% chance of the baby having Down's syndrome. That's a 96.43% chance of the baby not having Down's syndrome. Those are not bad odds.

Would having a baby with Down's syndrome be so terrible? I understand the news can come as a shock but people with Down's do live full and happy lives and they do share the same love with their parents as people without Down's syndrome. This baby could still be your happily ever after...


Jodie242 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:18:26

Sorry to hear you're going through this, i was right there too not so long ago so I understand your worries. How come you have to wait until week 25 to have an amnio? I had one at week 16, and just waiting until then was torture! Have you asked for it to be one sooner? Or how about the Harmony test? You would have to pay, but you could have it done right now and have the results in a couple of weeks x

DifficultSituation999 Wed 24-Aug-16 12:02:08

Jodie I was confused by that too but I'm pretty sure the OP made a typo and meant 15 weeks rather than 25 weeks (as she also says she is 13 weeks and has to wait 2 more weeks for an amnio).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now