Talk

Advanced search

Different nuchal reading

(6 Posts)
Yoghurtget Thu 21-Apr-16 17:22:15

Hello. I had my 12 week tests back and have come back high risk 1:102. The nuchal measurement was 2.7, hcg 1.7 and Pappa 0.8. I am feeling very anxious.

I have been to have a SAFE blood test today and the sonographer said the nuchal was 2.2. When the normal is up to 3.5, 0.5 seems quite a big difference to me?Does any one know how these things are worked out, how much of a difference would 0.5 make? Anyone have readings as my "new" ones and what was your risk? I am 34.

Jsy123 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:59:44

Hi, I'm so sorry you are feeling anxious. First let me just say that although 1:102 might sound scary it actually means that if 102 women had your exact same results, just 1 of them would have a baby with Down syndrome, so the chances of your baby having DS is less than 1%.

Now what probably accounts for this is not just the NT measurement (it's actually within the 'normal' range). Your blood results also play a part. Typically blood results show that where the baby has DS the papp-a is usually decreased (less than 1.00 MOM) and HCG increased (more than 1.00 MOM).

Now before you worry, your results are only slightly decreased and increased, but that is probably what has contributed to your 'score'.

The only reason I know all this is because I read up on it loads when I was pregnant because I was a massive worry wart.

Please try not to panic. If someone told you your chances of winning the lottery was over 99% you'd start planning what you were going to do with all the money, so try and look at how the odds are massively in your favour rather than worrying about being that '1'.

There are more conclusive tests so if you are really worried you could explore those.

Good luck and try not to worry.

Yoghurtget Fri 22-Apr-16 13:52:25

Thanks. Get the results in 5 working days but that seems a long time!

PinkParsnips Mon 02-May-16 19:48:17

Hi, did you get your results yet?

We had 1:20 for Downs and nuchal was measured at 3mm. A week later at the nifty test it was measured as 2mm so a big difference. She did say to us it can fluctuate!

Yoghurtget Wed 04-May-16 18:51:22

I did and we now have a 1 in a million chance of Down syndrome. However interestingly the background risk on the nifty was far lower than the NHS one. I am going to ask my midwife about it all next week. Are you awaiting results?

PinkParsnips Thu 05-May-16 09:06:01

That's fantastic, great news.
No we had our results and all is fine for us too and 20 week scan yesterday showed no other problems.
We had the same with the nifty test risk. The sonographer yesterday said nuchal tests are difficult for them to perform and it can be hard to get a reading so makes you wonder really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now