Talk

Advanced search

Borderline ventriculomegaly

(18 Posts)
fermerswife Wed 16-Mar-16 18:42:00

Hi I posted a few weeks ago about my 20 week scan were baby had excess fluid on kidneys. Well we went back and were told that thankfully the fluid on the them had gone down but now one of the ventricles in the brain is sitting at the borderline of normal (10mm). So they're keeping an eye and am back next week. Has anyone experience of this? I know many babies with borderline or mild measurements are largely fine but I'm so worried that when I go back fluid will have increased.

The only think keeping me sane is my harmony results came back low risk as now I have two soft markers found. This pregnancy is seriously taking its toll, I just feel like I'm in limbo and can't enjoy it at all - with a history of mc and ectopic pregnancy I was an anxious wreck before all of this!

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Wed 16-Mar-16 20:08:35

I'm sorry to hear this and I hope it all goes well. I'm sorry to be a downer but does your obstetrician suspect this is likely to be a genetic defect. It is just that Harmony while very accurate for T21 is not the most accurate for T18 and quite inaccurate for T13. It may be worth exploring with them whether you would like further testing.

I think the most likely thing is everything will be okay but it can be worth discussing with them, if they've seen anything else.

fermerswife Thu 17-Mar-16 06:45:46

Thanks for your reply. She didn't seem too concerned but it can increase your t21 risk 6 fold. She is of the opinion that things are fine and it's nothing to get too worried about but that doesn't stop me worrying!

ASAS Thu 17-Mar-16 06:59:27

My wee guy measured 11-12mm depending on the machine and physician. He's currently kicking my head in that adorable, "Get off mumsnet and get up" way.

I'll reply properly later but you'll be fine. I'm willing to bet my house on it.

Try not to worry.

fermerswife Thu 17-Mar-16 09:43:02

Thanks ASAS!

ASAS Thu 17-Mar-16 16:29:53

Firstly, sorry to hear about everything you've already been through.

Secondly, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I know this is hell. But it probably, statistically will be OK.

My 20 week scan showed 11mm, another machine the same day showed 12. We were asked back a week later then every week til 36 weeks. The measurements never went beyond 11-12.

They found 2 other soft markers, and by this point I was inconsolable. Ironically my wee boy has one toe naturally tucked behind the other (inherited from his dad, yuk but unique) which was never picked up. If it had been that would be 4 soft markers on a genetically fine, able if not advanced child. I never had the amnio, but as soon as he was born everything was quite clearly fine as 4 doctors just disappeared from my delivery room without examining my baby.

I know this won't help, but please please try not to worry. You might go back and it's at 9mm.

Take care.

fermerswife Thu 17-Mar-16 17:16:05

Thanks for sharing your experiences ASAS glad you had a positive outcome. I know scans are good for picking up on some treatable conditions but I nearly wish they just didn't tell you about things, which in reality they can do nothing about and will most likely be fine. I have a 2 year old son and had none of these worries. I'm just trying to stay positive and hope that next week things are the same or as you say maybe a bit better. It must be so hard to get accurate measurements of such a small part of such a small baby. She's growing perfectly and moves constantly so I'm taking all these as reassuring signs too. Pregnancy is just such a worrying time, I keep saying to my hubby as long as all goes well with this baby I'm done I just can't take the stress again!

ASAS Thu 17-Mar-16 18:24:06

If you continue to get scans try not to focus hugely on the number. If next week it's 11 that doesn't mean it's worse. You may find three readings are taken and none of them are the same to the decimal point, which is how mine were done.

It is just such a worry as even after giving birth it's a case of wait and wonder, although apsgar of whatever it's called will hopefully reassure you.

TheresOnlyOneWayOfLife Thu 17-Mar-16 22:54:54

Hi, sorry to hear you're having such a worrying time.
For what it's worth my 15 year old DS who had a large ventricle measurement at his 20 week (and following scans) is currently snoring his 5ft 10 head off and studying for his GCSE's.
We had no further investigations after a couple of follow up scans.
I know this is isn't definitive and everyone's journey is different but hopefully gives you one more positive story to look at.

Good luck and take care.

fermerswife Fri 18-Mar-16 12:06:54

Thanks again ASAS and theresonlyonewayoflife. It's so encouraging to hear your stories xx

Tantrictantrum Fri 18-Mar-16 20:55:30

Just to add my ds is nearly 18mo and has mild version like your baby. He has been under the care of a neurologist since birth. They told me the possible scenarios and I had an mri before ds was born. He is fine - 18mo as you would expect.

Tantrictantrum Fri 18-Mar-16 21:01:01

His measurement was 14 at birth

ASAS Fri 18-Mar-16 23:34:43

Farmers wife can you see the thread by riz90?

fermerswife Sat 19-Mar-16 06:51:05

Thank you tantrictatum, so glad your little one is doing well! It must be such a relief for you.

No ASAS I can't see it? Maybe it's cause I'm on my phone so the layout doesn't show names? Could you link it for me please? Thank you so glad I started this thread just to know I'm not alone in this!

ASAS Sat 19-Mar-16 09:37:09

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2549809-baby-has-Fluid-in-the-brain-33-weeks?msgid=59946685#59946685

Hopefully this works

fermerswife Sat 19-Mar-16 18:38:18

Thanks for the link ASAS. After reading all these stories online I really am feeling so much more positive that things will be ok!

ASAS Sun 20-Mar-16 22:47:20

I hope it's given you some reassurance. I know you're feeling very alone in this, but look at all these internet randoms that have gone through the same thing smile

fermerswife Wed 23-Mar-16 13:45:02

I just wanted to update this thread to say that I had a follow up scan today and ventricle definitely hasn't got any later infact it is measuring a little bit smaller so I've been discharged for follow up of that! Now they've said I need to have some growth scans as baby is a bit small but I always think those measurements are flawed. Thanks everyone for their support here and I hope that anyone who finds this thread via Google also has a positive outcome too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now