Talk

Advanced search

raised AFP

(4 Posts)
TattieHowkerz Mon 07-Mar-16 18:45:09

Came home today to a letter telling me I have a raised AFP level, asking me to attend a scan today confused Obviously missed that as letter arrived after the scan appointment time.

When having bloods done I was told I would just get the letter if my risk was over 1/150. They couldn't do measurements at 12 weeks. Sonographer at 14 weeks was very positive about how things were looking and pointed out the nasal bone, heart chambers etc, but it was all informal as she was just doing dating measurements.

I'm 38 and have a generally high risk pregnancy due to diabetes and epilepsy. Would appreciate words of comfort/wisdom/advice. Won't get a scan tomorrow as I am away at the other end of the country all day, hoping I will be seen on Wednesday.

Already have a DD with no problems, didn't have bloods done in that pregnancy.

fermerswife Mon 07-Mar-16 19:35:08

Sorry to hear this. Would you consider non invasive testing to hopefully put your mind at rest? I'm currently waiting on results of a harmony test if you have a google of that, it costs around £350 privately. I chose it over scans as it more or less gives you a yes or no answer (well not quite but very accurate), for me there's always doubt about the scans and bloods. Just remember that even at 1/150 and much less the odds are still very much in your favour.

TattieHowkerz Mon 07-Mar-16 20:09:53

Thank you. I'm not sure if harmony testing would help. I think raised AFP is more stuff like spina bifida, and it is low in downs and related conditions. I'm not an expert though! I'll definitely take/pay for any non invasive options. I'm just hoping that any major problems would have shown up on the scans I've had already.

TattieHowkerz Thu 10-Mar-16 16:08:11

Just updating to say that my scan was fine, and there are no concerns about the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now