Talk

Advanced search

1:353 risk of T21 and keep being offered amnio

(15 Posts)
Armywifelife Tue 23-Feb-16 12:28:51

My 12 week scan was fine, Dr was pleased with everything. Then I had bloods done which came out not so good, still low risk but a lot higher than with my son. Dr rang me with results at the time but didn't seem too concerned. Just had 20 week scan this morning and scan is still good with no markers, but my risk is still 1:353 which she said would be low risk. She seemed really surprised that I was confident enough to not opt for an amnio and kept asking me if I had a feeling everything was ok? I hadn't been considering amnio really as I figured I was low risk and no markers on the scan. Now I'm home I can't stop thinking if I should have one. But I just can't decide if it's worth the risk or not. I guess I'd like other opinions on what you would do?

Armywifelife Tue 23-Feb-16 12:30:25

Just to add it wouldn't change anything for me, but I would really like to know so I could be prepared.

starry0ne Tue 23-Feb-16 12:37:38

My risk was 1:500 so again low risk but much lower than some of the numbers I have heard....When DS was born I kept checking him over for any indicators, I struggled so many years to conceive I don't think I would of risked the amnio but would of felt more relaxed after the birth if I had.

AveEldon Tue 23-Feb-16 12:43:55

Where are you? In the UK they wouldn't offer you an amnio unless your odds were 1:100/1:150
Risk of mc from the amnio is usually published as 1:100

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Tue 23-Feb-16 12:57:35

In your situation or any I think I would do Harmony or similar just to get pregnancy management plans in place to minimise risk of stillbirth which is higher in all trisomies including T21. I don't think a 1 in 300ish risk is worth the debatable risk of amnio.

Armywifelife Tue 23-Feb-16 12:58:38

I'm in Cyprus at the moment which must be why it's different. She said they look for other markers on the scan that they don't in the UK but that is my risk according to what it would be in the UK.
It seems like such a low risk but when the other risks are 1:20000 it looks so high sad

AveEldon Tue 23-Feb-16 13:11:18

Can your doctor offer you Harmony or a similar NIPT test? There is no risk of mc with them

SweetAdeline Tue 23-Feb-16 13:14:32

I had a risk of 1/160 with dd and wasn't offered any additional tests in the UK. It wasn't even mentioned by my midwife and consultant.

SweetAdeline Tue 23-Feb-16 13:17:16

Surely the fact that they have looked for markers and not found any should make you more confident and less likely to choose an amnio.

KittyandTeal Tue 23-Feb-16 13:21:57

If it won't change anything then an amnio is a bit irrelevant. Sounds like with no markers picked up at either scan it's unlikely. I'd be surprised you'd get past 20 weeks without any marker picked up, especially as they would have looked a little harder with a medium risk.

Like pp have said a nipty test might be the way to go if you just want to know (I would, at least you can get a care plan in place etc) I've just had the harmony and t is 99% accurate for T21. Equally I don't really hold much esteem for the combined test. I came out low risk for T18, soft ,asker picked up, specialist in foetal medicine looked at my blood results and told us straight away is was T18.

Armywifelife Tue 23-Feb-16 13:22:26

Yes she said something about a non evasive test that tests DNA that would be about €800 (we have to use private facilities over here so not sure if that's more expensive than normal) so I think I may just opt for that instead.

Dr was also surprised I hadn't been to see midwife to discuss it and suggested I go see my consultant too. My midwife is British and employed by NHS so might actually be worth talking to her

Armywifelife Tue 23-Feb-16 13:26:12

I was very confident as was DH but she made me almost feel like i should be worried if that makes sense. The way she kept asking me why I didn't want the amnio or why I didn't seem bothered just seemed strange...(obviously bothered about the health of my baby but with nothing obvious on the scan I was pretty relaxed)

KittyandTeal Tue 23-Feb-16 13:28:37

Yeah I would pay privately. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is but in the uk it's around £500 so sounds about the same.

Sorry I hadn't read that you weren't in the uk before my last response.

newyorkminute Fri 26-Feb-16 14:26:51

I had a 1:600 result with DS2, no soft markers picked up at 20w scan. He has Down Syndrome (and is a joy!). I wish I'd known in advance but not sure I would have risked cvs/amnio. Currently PG with DS3 and had the harmony test for reassurance.

Armywifelife Fri 26-Feb-16 15:27:15

Thanks for your post Newyork. It wouldn't change anything for me, my mums cousin has Downs Syndrome and he's lovely man and has a great life! I'm going to have the private test done just so that I know. If I don't I know that leading up to the birth that's all I will be worried about and if I can be prepared then at least I can relax about it a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now