Talk

Advanced search

Second pregnancy - screening

(4 Posts)
TheVeryHungryMummapillar Mon 15-Feb-16 11:27:18

Hi all

I'm not sure whether anyone will be able to answer this query but I'm hoping someone will have some knowledge or experience!

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant with my second child - first trimester scan and screening on 17th March. During the second trimester screening last time round I was found to have a 1:74 chance of the baby having Down's Syndrome. It turned out that it was purely down to high hCG and we had a CVS which showed she didn't have DS.

As my 12 week scan date approaches I'm feeling increasingly anxious about going through the process again, particularly because my age has obviously increased.

I just wondered if anybody knows whether my hormones are likely to do the same thing again? Like would it be something about that pregnancy or something about me?

TheVeryHungryMummapillar Mon 15-Feb-16 11:27:56

Sorry that should read during the first trimester screening last time around.

KittyandTeal Mon 15-Feb-16 18:38:03

I'm not sure about if hormone levels are linked to you personally or the specific pregnancy. I would imagine the pregnancy as it's the placenta that produces the hormones (I think)

If you are worried and can afford it have you looked at nipty tests? You get the results before your 12 week screen and they are much, much more accurate (although not diagnostic)

quitecrunchy Tue 01-Mar-16 20:40:09

I don't know the answer to this question but would be keen to find out too!

I've just had a similar experience to you (first pregnancy, risk of 1:77 due to hcg of 4.5 MoM) but was offered NIPT on the NHS rather than CVS or amnio. Got the all clear but after worrying myself silly I'm not sure whether we'd have the combined test again next time round. I'll be watching this thread with interest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now