Bad news at 12 week scan-12mm fluid

(15 Posts)
twiggy1704 Thu 24-Dec-15 18:13:14

Hi all,

I hope I am posting in the right place as I feel very lost and numb and I am looking for advice good or bad.

To cut a long story short, after our 3rd round of IVF (ICSI) we became pregnant in Oct this year and we were both delighted. My DH and i are both 35. We had 2 blastocysts transferred and we have 2 frozen in the freezer in Greece.

We had an initial 7 week scan which showed everything measuring as it should, and a heartbeat seen and I then relaxed a little.

However, we had our 12 week scan yesterday and things are not good. The sonographer said very little when taking the scan and then rushed out to get a doctor in a matter of minutes. We were ushered into another room and told that there was an excess amount of fluid surrounding the baby and the fluid behind the neck measured 12mm. Basically we were told that there was little to no hope and that the baby was likely to have chromosomal issues and would not survive. We were both in a state of despair (still are) and we have to wait until the 29th Dec for another scan and further blood tests. We felt like we were written off immediately and we were then ushered out the side door of the hospital.

Obviously once I got home I Googled like mad and nothing else was mentioned at the scan (nose formation) etc apart from that the baby measured at 12 weeks on schedule. I wasn't even offered a scan picture.

My heart breaks writing this so any words of advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much xxx

toopeoply Thu 24-Dec-15 18:15:35

You should have got a picture and been treated the same as any other expectant mother. I'm sorry to hear about the measurements. I guess there is little you can do but support one another until your next appointment. And try not to Google too much.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 24-Dec-15 18:16:06

I'm so sorry you have had this devastating news.

I was given bad news twice, separate pregnancies. The second time they were completely wrong and that child is being too loud.

I'm hoping they are wrong, miracles do happen. Don't google anymore.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 24-Dec-15 18:41:22

You should have got a picture sad I'm sorry. I would complain about how you were treated tbh

flowers

Fox75 Thu 24-Dec-15 18:48:52

Hi Twiggy, sorry to hear your news and about how you were treated. We too have had ICSI, I stupidly thought that getting pregnant was the difficult bit and pregnancy would be a joyous a exciting time, but feels quite the opposite at the moment! I've done loads of googling over the past few days (most of which I regret) but it seems that it's all a waiting game as they never really seem sure of anything at this early stage. Just try to relax as much as you can. Good luck for the 29th. X

Booboostwo Thu 24-Dec-15 19:10:15

I'm very sorry for the news and how it was delivered. I imagine that waiting for the 29th will be very very difficult, but I hope you get some better news then.

twiggy1704 Thu 24-Dec-15 19:27:29

Thank you all so much for your very quick responses. I am going to complain on the 29th. I just feel in a very dark place at the moment and don't know how I will get through the next few weeks. DH has been great and I know we will get through it but I really thought this was our time. Xx

Booboostwo Thu 24-Dec-15 20:21:13

I don't want to stress you further if this is not an option but would a Harmony test be a possibility for getting more answers?

twiggy1704 Thu 24-Dec-15 20:29:41

Hi booboostwo,

We have been offered the harmony test that we have accepted and will get the blood test done on Tue xx

Booboostwo Thu 24-Dec-15 20:32:02

It's another long wait, I know, but fingers crossed for you.

twiggy1704 Thu 24-Dec-15 21:51:12

Thank you so much booboo x

Fox75 Mon 28-Dec-15 18:24:56

Good luck for tomorrow Twiggy, let us know how you get on x

bishboschone Sat 02-Jan-16 16:29:13

Good luck .. You should have been told about limb Length and other measurements as they are indictative of issues too and you will need this information to make
Any decisions .

Dua2016 Sat 09-Apr-16 07:42:34

Hi had my 20 week scan where my babies nuchal fold was 7.3, they then referrd me to foetal medicine where they did another scan and nuchal fold had reached to 10.7mm. I'm so worried. I have a genetic disorder however nuchal fold is nothing linked to it. The babies measurements of heart, head, kidney, face etc are all fine it's just this one nuchal measurement that is concerning! I now need to decide if I want to go with amnio test. The consultant said it could be what you have or it could be nothing! I'm so worried, major head ache and can't sleep any advise ? Thank you in advance x

Crasterwaves Sat 09-Apr-16 08:19:26

Dua, I am so sorry you are going through this.

A very helpful charity is ARC - antenatal results and choices and they have a helpline. They really helped my best friend with a similar dilemma.

It would probably be best to start your own thread now as you will get better support and handholding. Otherwise people could just reply to the op without seeing your message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now