Cervix 1.1cm at 20 week scan - help

(6 Posts)
Daphnedolittle Tue 22-Dec-15 15:07:38

Hi all looking for some advice and reassurance really.
I had my 20 week scan yesterday and have been in tears ever since. They did an internal scan for research purposes and discovered my cervix measured only 1.1cm.
I've been sent home with progesterone pessaries and told to come back in 3 weeks for another scan.

I have tried to call back today to find out what I should be doing. I've been in bed today but they didn't mention bed rest. It's only after googling that I've discovered lots of women are told to rest. I've also seen that lots of women are sent straight to hospital with cervixes as short as mine and that's made me concerned that my sonographer isnt taking it that seriously.

I'm considering going for a private scan for a second opinion. Has anyone else done this and been glad they did? My scan was at kings in london so a very good hospital but 3 weeks seems so long to wait to see if there's any improvement. I don't know how I can last that long sad they are so booked up its impossible for me to get seen earlier there.

Anyone else in the same boat? Or have any advice?

Whatdoidohelp Tue 22-Dec-15 15:57:21

3 weeks is too long. Call your midwife and ask to see consultant/registrar asap.

The progesterone will help in the meantime and rest when ever you can, feet up completely so no weight in pelvis. Good luck. If you can afford private the go-to expert on their is a dr Nick Wales.

hufflebottom Tue 22-Dec-15 16:49:20

Don't panic. Go see your midwife and get a second opinion. But don't hold all your faith in Kings.

Had a disastrous scan at kings for 20 weeks. Came away in tears got a second opinion to be told that kings can over exaggerate things and try to make things seem worse than they are as they are research based. And will try to find anything to research.

Daphnedolittle Tue 22-Dec-15 18:30:00

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to book a private scan for next week. I'll look up nick Wales. I'm more than happy to pay private if it helps.
They phoned me back and said that I can carry on as normal, go to work etc but I think I'll trust my instincts and rest.
Has anyone had a cervix this short and had a positive outcome? It's such a worry.

minipie Fri 01-Jan-16 20:14:40

Assuming you are in/near London I would suggest contacting the Pre Term Surveillance clinic at St Thomas's and asking if they can see you. They are experts in monitoring/treating women at risk of pre term birth and I think especially those with cervix issues.

Have Kings done a fetal fibronectin test? (I believe this indicates fairly reliably whether birth is imminent and it's one of the things the Thomas's clinic does regularly)

minipie Fri 01-Jan-16 20:16:04

PS I believe the clinic will take self referrals ie you don't need another doctor to refer you there - so I'd just call them up, explain your situation and ask what the process is to refer yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now