Abnormality at 20wk anomaly scan(41 Posts)
I had my 20wk anomaly scan today. Initially seen by sonographer, who told me the consultant was needed to review baby's brain as she couldn't scan it as clearly as she'd like. Fortunately, consultant was free and we we're seen by him straight away. He re-scanned and informed there was a partial absence of the corpus callosum and I would be referred to a fetal medicine unit.
He was really helpful and informed that perhaps this part of the brain is not fully developed yet (this occurs up to 22wks) He described the abnormality as not being 'major' although added that worst case scenario would be baby has learning difficulties (I think 'major' would be something that compromised foetal life). He advised I will initially be rescanned by specialists and possibly have MRI.
So, it's a question of waiting and trying not to worry. Any advice how I can do this? What can I do to occupy myself so it's not on my mind (which will be difficult I know!) Work full time and have a 3yr old at home do that will help but if anyone has any ideas they'd be greatly appreciated!
Also, although most people don't know about my scan (I'm not an update every part of my pregnancy on Facebook kind of person) what should I say is someone asks? Have told my mum and best mate what happened but would rather leave it at that until I've had re-scan. So tactics on how to manage this would also be helpful.
Try not to worry (useless words there I know). At my 19 week scan cysts and some sort of lesion (I can't remember the word) were spotted on DD's brain, they had all resolved by 23 weeks when her brain appeared completely normal. She is absolutely fine.
I am not good at making things up at all - would probably just tell anyone that asked that I had been asked to go back for a repeat scan due to a technical glitch - no idea at all.
Fingers crossed for it being a normal development thing.
Thanks lavender. I feel in an odd kind of limbo right now. Feel a bit upset/scared but, rationally, I know there might be nothing to be upset/scared about. I'm thinking once my daughter goes to bed a movie and some chocolate might be in order! Then work/life will probably occupy my mind once again from tomorrow.
We had a fetal mri which diagnosed "thin" curpus callosum. I'll be back properly after bedtime but just wanted to quickly say he's sitting here absolutely fine, beyond perfect.
I had a very different problem relating be to DDs leg diagnosed at 20week scan, and In your position I would probably just say everything was okay if anyone asks and wait for the re-scan; after all everything may well be fine! People will understand a little white lie if you need to update them in the future which hopefully you wont xx
Thanks ASAS. And to you too Gizmo. I'm erring towards a little lie if anyone asks, just makes life easier for the time being.
My plan to take my mind off isn't working so far but maybe I should just allow an 'off' night. It's been a long, strange day that's left me confused . Am hoping all will be fine and totally fighting the urge to google anything (as there may be no point worrying and I need to accept to cross those bridges only if I come to them)
A lie is fine Dolly, you don't have to tell anyone anything.
Hopefully you will sleep and feel a bit more able to cope with the wait tomorrow. It is truly horrible, I know. Try not to google, it rarely makes things better.
I don't know anything about it personally, but here is a great blog by Corrine, whose 3rd son has the same issue.
Hello again. Firstly I'm really sorry you're going through this, it's rubbish. Secondly, you might as well Google, sometimes the darkest recesses of your imagination are worse. And thirdly, if it's useful, here's our experience...
Much like you a sonographer called in a consultant who said come back in a week. I was back every week of my pregnancy after that as I didn't want the amnio so an eye was kept. For your information my measurements never changed from that first scan, although it's important to note what others have said about spontaneous in utero resolution and what your own consultant told you about development (and the fact your date could be slightly off).
Our MRI measured the corpus callosum as being in the lower centiles. Not sure if they told you this today but the cc is the bit that connects the left and right sections of the brain. So if you must Google also read about neuroplasticity. There are ways around the centiles which are mainly experiential. Given you're on MN you're a pushy parent who is right into early years theory aren't you
Our little boy is fine, better than fine. Antenatally we were told if he feeds at birth that's a good sign. At birth, when he fed, we were told wait, worry and wonder. He had a scan when he was a few hours old and has had several since to monitor, but as he met all his milestones the sense of medical urgency faded. At his next scan he'll be 4 years old - his consultant said he's making it the last as we're now tipping the balance and ongoing scans under GA are worse for his health than anything they've managed to find.
Our little boy is amazing, he's bilingual which I pushed as I knew it would be good for his neuroplasticity.
But I'll never get over the worry of my pregnancy and if you can manage to just smile and nod when people ask how your scan went that might help as telling people wrecked me.
And come back with any questions.
ASAS, I really appreciate the information you've provided. I was in two minds about posting on MN as I usually hang around threads that are quite frivolous (strictly, bake off and funny chat topics spring to mind). However, the information you and have given has really helped me see the good in a bad day, the world really is full of some lovely people.
I'm pretty sure the consultant told me about it connecting the parts of the brain but, to be honest, I'd kind of zoned out after they'd said I'd be referred elsewhere, need a further scan, MRI etc. It felt a bit like I had my head underwater and people were talking to me ( if that makes sense ).
I might brave a quick google tomorrow. I'm not sure I can handle neurological information at this hour after such a day!
Oh and of course I'm all over early years theory...--trained as a nursery nurse years ago and have forgotten most of it!--
Just to clarify me last post should say:
However, the information you and others have given has really helped me see the good in a bad day, the world really is full of some lovely people. **
Thanks to you all
Good idea, Peep Show is about to start, neurology will still be there tomorrow.
Also, just to be clear as I wasn't explicit, our little boy has absolutely no issues of any sort, learning difficulties included.
Had a re-scan at another hospital today. My luck with meeting lovely people continued as the consultant was great.
Unfortunately, they still can't see what they need so I'll be booked in for an MRI in the next fortnight. Hopefully, I can keep myself/mind occupied until then. Consultant gently reminded that it's one step at a time and, if necessary, he will a answer all of our questions as and when needed post MRI ( he obviously answered some today too).
The only thing to really, really concentrate on atm is your baby has now been scanned by a sonographer and 2 consultants, and the finding has been isolated and potentially of no consequence. But as my dad would tell me, parenting... there's no worry like it
the cheeky swine
Dolly, nice to read your update, the consultant sounds lovely, almost as wise as the dad of ASAS .
Hope you are managing not to worry (sounds so stupid written down doesn't it but hopefully you know what I mean).
Am focusing on not worrying. Have a nice weekend planned with friends which should take my mind off of it and am heeding advice to take things one step at a time, so will wait for MRI , see what comes out of the lay and think from then onwards.
Luckily, my boss suggested I take the day off so mindless watching of daytime tv should also help!
Thanks again for your posts
Bloody phone....--how did trying to type 'that' turn into 'the lay'--
Had my MRI today. Corpus collosum hasn't developed at all. We were told there's a 25% chance baby will have normal development, 50% they'll have some form of learning need and 25% it would be a severe learning need.
Feeling a bit dazed by it all. In all honesty, we're unlikely to be able to gage the impact for some time, I'm guessing if/when milestones are missed. If anyone has any ideas/tips they'd be welcomed. Seeing consultant on Thursday, so can ask him more questions then if I need too.
Hi Dolly, just spotted your thread and wanted to let you know I've looked after a couple of bright sparky little ones who have an absent corpus collosum.
One is a toddler and one a teenager and although a little extra help needed for teenager at school they have both met milestones and you wouldn't know talking to them that anything was absent.
Not sure how helpful that is but thought a real life example might help a little.
I've been thinking of you.
It might all be fine. It really might.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.