Talk

Advanced search

Normal nuchal scan but low papA

(9 Posts)
Dublingirl1 Thu 06-Aug-15 12:30:45

Hi all, I'm new to this board so I hope I'm posting to the correct area! I'm in a bit of a state. I'm 37 and have a 3yo son. Yesterday I had the nuchal test all looked normal until she put my blood results into the computer. I went from 1:163 for trisomy 21 and 1:306 for trisomy 13/18. To 1:5.
I have low papA. I then had the non invasive harmony test. How did my blood effect the result so much? I'm in a state and can't stop crying, just the 'not knowing'. Has anyone had anything similar? Where does Downs Syndrome come into all of this if my scan was ok. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light

Mum2babelle Thu 06-Aug-15 13:06:33

Hello. Sorry you're going through this. I am in the same boat at the moment with a 1 in 5. Also waiting for results from NIPT (serenity) due tomorrow! I also had a scan at the private clinic and she checked for soft markers like nose bone etc. all were fine. She said therefore that my chances of Down's was more like1 in 10. This made me feel a bit better. The nhs doesn't look at these soft markers until the 20 weeks scan. If you want some more information I would recommend a private anomaly scan. I went to this is my. Really made me feel more positive about the results. However nothing can take away the anxiety of the waiting.
The bloods only show indicators of downs so are often wrong. You're doing the right thing with the harmony test. You'll get through the wait! How long is it until you find out? I've been waiting just over a week.

LadyOrangutan Thu 06-Aug-15 13:16:07

Hello,

Wait for the results of the harmony test. They will give you a far more accurate reading of your risk levels of 13 & 18 & 21.
I have low Papp A levels too, am 36 and have a almost 2 yr old DS. When my Harmony (I had the panaroma but it's the same) results came back my risk was 1:10000 where as if I had relied on just the NHS figures my risk would have been much much much higher even though the scan (like yours) showed that everything looked okay.
You've done the right thing by having the Harmony.

Have you been told the implications of having low Papp A levels ?

KittyandTeal Thu 06-Aug-15 13:22:29

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's so hard finding out there is an issue and having to wait for answers.

Your blood work has changed things so much because Papp a and hcg levels are initial markers for problems. Soft markers are obviously hard to find on 12 week scans.

T13 and 18 is generally classified by low hcg and low Papp a
T21 is usually low Papp a and rightly double that number of hcg. So high hcg.

I had a perfect nt number (1mom) but low hcg and Papp a. Our dd2 had T18.

Have they offered you an invasive test? 1:5 from bloods seems that a harmony wouldn't come back any clearer would it?

Mum2babelle Thu 06-Aug-15 13:48:17

With the serenity we will get a positive or negative. Positive means 99.8% sure DS. Negative 1 in 10,000 DS.

KittyandTeal Thu 06-Aug-15 13:51:53

That's good mum2. Does it also test for T13 and T18?

(I'm only asking because we will need a test if I get pregnant again)

Mum2babelle Thu 06-Aug-15 13:53:47

Yes for all three but the % ever so slightly less certain with the others. Also you can have tested for the XY abnormalities but I chose not to. It looks like they have come along a lot in the last year or so. My mw didn't have a clue.

KittyandTeal Thu 06-Aug-15 15:40:24

Maybe we'll go for that one then if the time comes for us. Thanks

UpSeeDaisies Sun 16-Aug-15 06:52:08

Hi just to say I also had low pap a in my 12 week tests which gave me a 1:150 ds risk. For various reasons I couldn't have further testing until 17 weeks so opted for an amnio which came back clear. In the meantime all the low pap a result has meant is that I have had to have growth scans every 4 weeks to monitor size as it can (not necc will) affect the placenta function later in pregnancy, potentially resulting in restricted growth for the baby. All my scans have been absolutely fine and I have now been discharged from the consultant and am due any day. Try not to worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now