Advanced search

1 in 80 DS chance from 12 week tests

(13 Posts)
tractorgirl123 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:52:37

I had a phone call from a midwife yesterday about my screening tests, everything was fine other than the downs test has come back out of the computer as 1 in 80 chance (this is my second pregnancy and last time was something like 1 in 10,000 or higher) I'm 34 and was 31 with my first who is now nearly 3 and absolutely fine. It completely threw me when she rang as I wasn't expecting it to be an issue and got really upset and panicked. Now just seems a bit surreal. But if we didn't sang to know the result we shouldn't have had the test done I suppose abc I would rather know if there was something wrong
I've got to go in to see this midwife tomorrow , so she can 'discuss my options' - I just wondered if anyone else had this result from the blood test/ measurement screening and what you went on to do?

I think we're going to go for the harmony test that you have to pay for before doing any of the invasive options to see if it is more likely or not - has anyone had that done in the West Midlands ?

Just wondering what the midwife us going to tell me any more than she did in the phone or I've been reading about and any questions I ought to remember to ask?

Reignbeau Tue 28-Jul-15 22:56:27

I had one in 84 I think it was, I was called back in for a scan to check for soft markers and then had the option to take it to amnio but as the scan looked OK we didn't bother, termination was not something I would have considered for Downs anyway. DD was born healthy and without DS.

tractorgirl123 Tue 28-Jul-15 23:25:31

Thanks, that's good to hear - how many weeks were you when they did the extra scan?

Baffledmumtoday Tue 28-Jul-15 23:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Postchildrenpregranny Tue 28-Jul-15 23:37:42

Harmony tests not available in my day but had amnio for DD2 as had had two miscarriages and I was 39 .If you get that far the test is not painful ,just slightly odd and bit invasive
Good luck

SaggyAndLucy Wed 29-Jul-15 00:26:07

Firstly, panic is quite normal. It passes.
I got odds of 1 in 5 and went for CVS.
My gorgeous girl does have DS. I couldn't care less. She's amazing.
I think what you do next really depends on where you stand. If you'd terminate, I'd go straight to amnio/cvs.
If You wouldn't then harmony would offer you a less 'risky' option, although it's only a screening test, the results are very accurate.
Personally I wouldn't have terminated but I needed to know. And fast.
If we had had the money for harmony I still wouldn't have had it. The wait was just to long for me, especially with the fact that I'd probably be encouraged into amnio if harmony came back high risk.
It was a simple procedure, I felt nothing, and the odds of mc attached to amnio are quite out dated.

RooibosTeaAgain Thu 30-Jul-15 11:10:19

MUMS in Solihull is where we went for Harmony. They did excellent scans as well.
All the best.

Reignbeau Thu 30-Jul-15 22:21:23

I was 17 weeks when I got the extra scan.

tractorgirl123 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:13:30

I've got an appointment on Monday at baby vision near Shrewsbury , has anyone been there?

fourlegstwolegs Mon 03-Aug-15 13:53:13

I've had something vaguely similar - I am going for an early anomaly scan on Weds. If everything looks hunky dory I will not have an invasive procedure.
I think a consultant on a detailed scan will give you a clearer idea.

tractorgirl123 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:39:18

They didn't offer me any sort of extra scan, I went for the blood test today so fingers crossed will get good results back in 10 days!

tractorgirl123 Tue 11-Aug-15 16:12:16

Had phone call today and the results came back good 1 in 10,000 chance so hopefully can stop worrying now! (About that anyway!)

Baffledmumtoday Tue 11-Aug-15 17:54:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: