Talk

Advanced search

Glucose test! Does it matter? Confused

(16 Posts)
Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 20:35:18

Hi ladies, I have my glucose test tomorrow morning and I was meant to finish eating 12 hours before drinking the glucose anyway I finished eating at 7pm instead of 6pm. I am just wondering if my results will be affected just because I have finished eating 7pm instead I 6pm
Thanks

Sansarya Thu 04-Jun-15 20:36:26

Your test is at 6am??

Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 20:54:04

Hey San it's 8am but I am supposed to take the glucose at 6.am as in two hours before the test

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 04-Jun-15 20:56:10

Usually you go in, have your bloods taken, drink the glucose then wait 2 hours and have your bloods taken again.

DulcetMoans Thu 04-Jun-15 20:58:32

Yeah, are you sure that's how it is working? Normally it's appointment, blood test, drink, wait two hours, appointment, blood test.

Want2bSupermum Thu 04-Jun-15 21:01:09

It's always the glucose at the appointment with a 2 hour wait after. Bring food with you as you will be starving by 11am (they always run late). While my test was fine I felt rotten afterwards.

Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 21:09:21

Worlds at my hospital bloods are taken once and that's 2 hours after drinking lucozade original

Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 21:12:39

Dulcet it's different procedure at my hospital we stop eating 12 hours fosters before lucozade then blood test 2 hours after drinking the lucozade

Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 21:14:14

Wants2b I will remember to take something to eat

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 04-Jun-15 21:14:17

Ok, not sure how that works as I thought they compared the 2 blood results to compare the levels of glucose in the blood. If they only do the bloods once, they have nothing to compare it too.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 04-Jun-15 21:16:59

Anyway I don't know if it matters regarding the fasting from 7pm rather than 6pm and I guess everywhere is closed now to ask! Id probably just do the test but mention it to the dr/nurse/midwife whoever you see tomorrow.

Onemilliongal Thu 04-Jun-15 22:09:59

Thanks worldsb, I am suprised that my hospital does the glucose test different from other hospitals, this is my second baby and this is how exactly my hospital did the glucose test in 2013. I will mention it to the midwife though!

Equimum Mon 08-Jun-15 09:09:13

I know this isn't helpful to the OP, but just to add to the variation in testing, where I am, you drink lucozade at home an hour before testing, and there is no fasting beforehand. This has been the same for both of my children (had a test last week).

TarkaTheOtter Mon 08-Jun-15 09:13:32

It won't matter.

cherrytree63 Mon 08-Jun-15 09:23:11

Mention it to whoever takes your blood. They should either give you the option to rebook, or write on your form that it was an eleven hour fast. Then depending on your results the lab will decide if you need a recall.

TarkaTheOtter Mon 08-Jun-15 10:39:45

I doubt they would recall/ask you to rebook. I've had several gtts and the fast time has varied from "overnight", 10hrs, 12hrs etc. They have all used the same diagnostic criteria.
If they are asking you to have the drink at home then come into hospital rather than sit in a waiting room between drink and test, surelydiffering activity levels will play a bigger role than an hours less fasting (especially as they aren't doing a fasting reading anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now