Talk

Advanced search

20 week scan - short nasal bone - worried

(5 Posts)
ElsieTanner14 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:07:28

We had our 20 week scan yesterday and baby's short nose bone was flagged (it was 4.1mm and hospital's threshold is 5mm) for referral to a consultant.

Consultant has advised that its likely baby is fine (rest of scan was normal) but there is a risk that it signifies a chromosomal abnormality such as Down's or something else.

The NHS's combined test at 12 weeks gave me a Down's risk of 1 in 148 but we had the private Harmony test which gave me a risk of 1 in 10,000.

We've turned down an amnio because of the miscarriage risk.

Can anyone offer any reassuring similar experiences??

CountryMummy1 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:09:30

I would be reassured by the Harmony test. That's pretty tiny odds. X

SaggyAndLucy Sat 24-Jan-15 02:27:30

You've had the harmony test, those are great odds! my DD HAS downs and a perfectly normal nasal bone! Yours just has a small nose! :-) smile

WLondonMum Sat 24-Jan-15 03:17:31

I would be very reassured by the Harmony results. From talking to a private Dr in this field it seems that the odds are actually even better than 1 in 10,000, in fact I was told they are as accurate as an amnio in practise.

If you are near London you might want to consider a private anomaly scan at:

www.fetalmedicine.com/

They really are amazing and I had extremely reassuring scans and tests here when NHS ones were inconclusive.

ElsieTanner14 Mon 26-Jan-15 10:29:41

Thanks all - yes, we'll focus on the Harmony test result

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: