Talk

Advanced search

Confused - please help if you can!

(5 Posts)
CBo79 Thu 08-Jan-15 13:31:21

Hi all

I think I have had good news…but I am not sure!

DH (who is home today) just called. ‘You have a letter from the NHS, should I open it?’ We’d been expecting the results of my blood screening for Down’s etc. But the nurse had told me if it comes back within 10 days then it means I am high risk. So as you can imagine, I’m bricking it. I thought I was going to pass out!

DH opens it. It is short and to the point: ‘Down’s Syndrome’ and ‘Neural Tube Defects’ – low chance for both. That’s it. Oh, other than the usual, ‘please bring this letter with you to your next midwife appointment’.

Obviously, I’m pleased to see the words ‘low chance’. However, I’m not sure what it all means! I was expecting a letter to say that my risk of Downs’ Syndrome etc was 1 in xxxx. And why did the letter arrive now during the so called ‘high risk’ time?? Why would they tell me that at the hospital? Will I be receiving another letter in due course?

Quick background: I was due for an NT but they couldn’t do the full measurements at 13 weeks scan because baby wouldn’t cooperate, so I had a final head measurement at my 16 week where they took the blood test. But no mention of measurements made in this letter?

I have tried to call the clinic but midwife is busy, which I’d expected. I think it is good news, I hope it is, but I’m just so confused!

Anyone else had this? Thanks very much xx

Serafinaaa Thu 08-Jan-15 17:01:22

I was told that they would phone if the result was high risk, usually within a week, but that I would receive a letter if it was low risk within three weeks. My letter arrived after about ten days too and just said 'low risk'. My midwife would have been able to tell me my 1 in ... at the next appointment but I declined to know any further details.

SaggyAndLucy Fri 09-Jan-15 00:29:57

They phone if things look bad.

thesmallbear Fri 09-Jan-15 21:56:13

Mine is high risk and they phoned me. If you got a letter you're fine.

coastergirl Sun 11-Jan-15 19:09:56

It seems that they do this differently in different areas. Some people get told the actual risk as a number, others just get told low risk. I got a letter after about two weeks saying that my risk was low, and my midwife could give me more details at my next appointment. I really wanted to know the exact figure so I rang and they told me straight away. If your results were high risk, they would have rung you (as others said).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now