Talk

Advanced search

So sad and confused: Limb abnormality

(12 Posts)
Gizmo2206 Tue 16-Dec-14 01:43:35

I had my 20 week scan today and they spotted that one femur was significantly shorter than the other. I was lucky and saw a consultant this afternoon who confirmed this opinion. He thinks that there is no other abnormalities, and no indication of a chromosomal problem but is referring me for a fetal echo to help reassure me. He offered an amnio but reiterated that he felt there wasn't any chromosomal problems. Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 16-Dec-14 16:47:12

I've not had a similar experience but didn't want to read and run.
Am here to hand hold until someone more wise comes along x

Gizmo2206 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:48:04

thankyou, i just feel so lost.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 16-Dec-14 18:35:40

Bless you, have you managed to chat to anyone in RL.
Maybe it would be worth chatting with your midwive or there maybe some helplines she could forward you too.
I've not had a similar situation but when I was going through things when I was expecting my midwive was quite helpful x

SaggyAndLucy Fri 19-Dec-14 23:02:33

Not the same, but I've been through a traumatic, worry filled pg.
The consultant sounds very sure that everything else is fine. That is a good thing.
Just try and stay calm and focused. That little person in there is the same little person who was in there a week ago before your scan. And honestly and truly, when you hold your baby, all you will see is perfection and love.

Hand-holding for you.
These things are so up in the air - DS has quite a significant chromosomal abnormality that wasn't spotted till he turned 4, because the actual effects are quite mild.
Are you going to go ahead with the amnio?

DRSLondon Sat 20-Dec-14 08:26:30

I'm sorry you are going through such a worrying time. I had an awful 20 week scan than resulted in a decision to terminate so I know how stressful it all is. That said your baby sounds like they would have a good quality of life and I suppose you need to find out what life would be like for them and if there is any treatment/support. ARC is a great charity with lots of information and support. I would contact them.
Wishing you all well. Xxx

www.wakeupsurvivesleep.com

Gizmo2206 Sat 20-Dec-14 22:16:36

Thanks for the replies. After a heart scan which was completely normal we re-met with consultant. He reassured me he felt confident there was no reason to suspect a chromosomal problem, and that in fact he did not recommend an amnio. He said he felt confident that the problem was isolated to her femur and that she should be considered a healthy baby (obviously - apart from the leg issue). On the basis of this me and my lovely partner (who couldn't be any more supportive thankfully) have decided we can help our lovely little girl have a fabulous life regardless of this seemingly daunting prognosis about her limb. I am finding it hard to come to terms with but am so glad she is kicking away inside me as I type.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 21-Dec-14 05:50:58

That is good news indeed OP. You and your partner will be wonderful parents to your new arrival smile it sounds like although there will still be lots of challenges ahead you will tackle them all together as a family.
Wishing you all the best OP x

SaggyAndLucy Sat 27-Dec-14 16:57:07

I so pleased for you OP!
And from my experience I can honestly say, if I knew how amazingly in love with our LO we would be totally regardless, I would have been a lot less terrified a year ago before we met her! smile
you're going to be just fine xx

TorrieLou Mon 05-Jan-15 20:01:18

Hi just wanted to say it might be worth contacting the charity STEPS. They support families with children who suffer from lower limb conditions. They could probably put you in touch with someone who has been in a similar situation. Best wishes my son was born with talipes diagnosed at 20 wk scan its a horrible time we thought he may also have MD but fortunately he was lucky not to have it we found out when he arrived.

jassS Thu 08-Jan-15 16:09:08

Hi I have had such an experience, though at birth not at ultrasound. It was 21 years ago and no US was offered. My boy was born and he had 4 fingers on both hands and three toes on both legs. Immediately a full check-up was performed and I was told it is nothing more serious, as the poor little thing had no other deformations, all the core organs were OK. I have later seen many kids with such issues and noone has ever been genetic. Normal intellects, too. It is sad to accept but definitely not the end of the world. My son had some regenerative surgery and is living a normal life (not playing piano obviously, but a computer geek and fast enough with his 8 fingers). While in hospitals, we saw many kids with limb deformities and as it was early 90ties in eastern Europe Tsernobõl was held responsible. Maybe, I would never know, but I was in Lithuania when the Tsernobõl accident happened, only a few hundred km away.... So who knows.

My little man was actually lucky because had we been scanned and had this been discovered on the scan I would have definitely terminated. I would have been far too scared of additional, mainly mental health risks (lot less was known at these times, of course, And I was relatively young and having a disabled child just would not have fitted into my little self-important perfect world). He is now in uni. Perfect first son, helpful and kind to the rest of the family. A child I had because in Soviet union ultrasounds were not offered then, even if they existed already:-))

I hope you will be able to get medical help which would allow your daughter to lead a good life. All the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now