Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had Private Nuchal Scan AND NHS nuchal scan?

(12 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Tue 25-Nov-14 11:58:26

I've got both within a day of each other as well as Harmony test and I'm worried the results may contradict each other and make me worry more.

I'm having Harmony bloods and viability scan this Friday then private nuchal and Harmony results in two weeks. Then I've just had a letter from the NHS with a date for a nuchal scan the day before my private nuchal scan! Confused? Yes me too! hmm

At least we'll see lots of this baby I guess!

DuelingFanjo Tue 25-Nov-14 11:59:20

I would turn down the Hospital one if you are having it done privately.
Or cancel the private one. No point having both.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Wed 26-Nov-14 14:54:51

Tranquility- hello from June board. I've literally got the exact same dilemma too. I've decided to go for both scans- more because my nhs one is nearly a week before FMC and I can't stand the wait to due to previous abnormalities in first pregnancy. Obviously it's up to you and there's no need to have both... I could bring forward my FMC scan but then I wouldn't have it with Professor and with my history I want the extra reassurance.

Good luck!

Tranquilitybaby Wed 26-Nov-14 17:07:57

The NHS have said they want me to do their one for the records and the private one is part of a package including Harmony test.

Tranquilitybaby Wed 26-Nov-14 17:08:28

Good luck to you too iwant, hope it goes well.

DuelingFanjo Wed 26-Nov-14 17:21:43

really? So are people not allowed to turn down NHS tests now? That seems strange. There are plenty of people who wouldn't want to have the Nuchal test done. Or have they now incorporated it into the 12 week scan, given all staff training on how to do the Nuchal part correctly?

Tranquilitybaby Wed 26-Nov-14 22:42:01

If course anyone can refuse any kind of medical care if they want to, and to be honest I'd be happy to save on resources, but given my history (ruptured ectopic and mc in the last 6 months), I'm not going to argue this time round.

Yes in my area, the 12 week scan is a nuchal scan as standard now.

Zahrah5 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:24:21

I had both done, the Harmony package at FMC and nuchal at NHS.

It was incomparable experience.

Those of you who went to FMC nuchal know that besides the CRL and BPD and heart action and nuchal translucency they also check for Down soft markers such as doppler of ductus venomus and tricuspid flow.

They also do a check of anatomy where they check major organs, as brain, eyes, spine, stomach, kindey, arms and legs. Placenta and flows. I think it was very detailed.

My NHS scan lasted not even 10 min including lying down on the table.
The hospital booked my scan on the last possible day when the nuchal test can be done 13+6!!!!, according to last period.

I went to FMC before, at 10w for viability scan where they also dated me and I was more far ahead by ultrasound than by period dates.

So I realized that at the NHS scan I will be too late for nuchal measurement as I will be really 14 +3 but still was curious about the scan.
I think moving dates like this is pretty common among pregnant women and the hospital must have counted with this possibility when they booked me but do not seem to care. That is one thing what upsets me. And to wait for first scan until 15th week is ridiculous.

Anyway the less than 10 min NHS scan went like this: this is the baby, this is its heats action, this is lenght, this is BPD, good bye. Go give blods for quad tests as we can not do nuchal.

Should I have not gone to FMC and had the Harmony and nuchal scan with all the anatomy check done I would have died out of worries. I am 38 so naturally high risk and was super anxious.

Thanks to FMC nuchal I am not much worrying anymore even for the anatomy scan as I know the major organs were checked already.

Tranquilitybaby Thu 27-Nov-14 13:05:12

Thanks Zahrah, that's very reassuring to hear. I have my viability scan and harmony bloods tomorrow. Was your viability scan quite detailed too?

Zahrah5 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:35:44

I dont remember much from the viability scan, i was very emotional, could not believe until the scan that the baby was there, was sure something would be wrong.

It was much shorter, but they will show you the hearbeat and the heart, they check the amniotic sac and yolk sac and measure them, tell you if it is one or more babies and if it is in uterus.

minipie Thu 27-Nov-14 19:16:04

Yes, I had the NHS nuchal scan and then FMC nuchal scan (part of Harmony package) the day after.

The FMC scan was a little more detailed and looked at extra factors as Zahrah mentions. However the NHS one was also pretty good (I am with St Georges who have all the top equipment etc) and I think they also did look at various organs.

My risk results were different but were pretty low with both - I think about 1:2400 at St G and then 1:5000 at FMC. This makes sense as the extra factors the FMC looked at were all normal so I guess that would bring the risk down even further. Of course the FMC also gave me my harmony result which was clear but they gave me the "without harmony" result too just for interest.

Good luck with your viability scan! I don't remember mine much either, I think they mainly just check it's there and the right size and show you the heartbeat.

Tranquilitybaby Thu 27-Nov-14 20:01:42

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I've had some bladder type pain today, that feels like cramping so the sooner the scan is the better really. After two losses, I just can't relax until I've had these scans.

Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now