Talk

Advanced search

Refused tests

(16 Posts)
BlueberryWafer Thu 23-Oct-14 08:51:01

I said no to the tests for Down's syndrome for various reasons, and have been made to feel like an idiot by the midwives. When they asked why I didn't want the tests I said because it wouldn't make any difference, to which the midwife replied 'well what's the problem with having the test then if it wouldn't be a problem?' I have since been badgered about it at every midwife appointment! Another midwife said 'how do you know it wouldn't be a problem until you've been in the situation?' How would having a test clarify that? I still wouldn't actually be in the situation til I have birth. In my last pregnancy (ds is 17 months so not that long ago) I just said no thank you, they ticked the "no" box and that was it! Why all of a sudden the pressure to have invasive tests I don't want?!

Anyone else had this? How do I politely tell the midwives to drop the bloody subject? I'm 19 weeks I decided before I was even pregnant I didn't want the test for downs syndrome. Why can't they just accept that and move on.

DanaBarrett Thu 23-Oct-14 09:00:42

I was lucky that in both my pregnancies they were fine about me refusing the tests. We decided that so long as the foetus was 'compatible with life' we would step up to whatever needed doing. The tests aren't a diagnosis, and you've got every right to refuse them. Stick to your guns xxx

minipie Thu 23-Oct-14 10:41:22

Of course it's your right to refuse the tests and they shouldn't be badgering you.

Just one thing - I notice you said invasive tests - you know the tests aren't invasive apart from scan and blood tests right? ie there are no risks to the baby?

Also, you know the tests are not just for Downs but also for other syndromes like Edwards and Patau which are usually incompatible with life (although these would usually show up on the scan anyway).

I'm sure you know all this and have made your decision knowing this, just checking.

letmelego Thu 23-Oct-14 10:45:23

I said, 'if I have to find out my baby has any condition, i'd like to find out when I'm holding him or her in my arms'. They all accepted that.

CMOTDibbler Thu 23-Oct-14 10:47:34

I said I only wanted to know if the baby had a life limiting condition, or one which would require ante natal/ immediately neonatal care. Though the MW was slightly confused by this, but did listen

NancyJones Thu 23-Oct-14 10:56:19

You are perfectly within your rights to refuse tests and even scans. The tests aren't invasive though, just to be clear. Scans are more invasive.

It's possibly because lots of women who would still choose to continue with the pg, still want to know to help them prepare both mentally and practically. Also if the mws know they are delivering a baby with DS, they will be more alert to potential heart issues at birth. They are probably just nervous at the not knowing.
Just politely say you don't want to know.

BlueberryWafer Thu 23-Oct-14 12:57:02

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps invasive wasn't the correct word, but I do class blood tests as invasive. I will just keep telling them what I've been saying smile

duhgldiuhfdsli Thu 23-Oct-14 13:08:11

You are perfectly within your rights to refuse tests and even scans. The tests aren't invasive though

Amniocentesis is.

NancyJones Thu 23-Oct-14 14:32:06

Yes it is but it's not routinely offered as an antenatal test. I assumed from the ops post that she meant the bloods of nt scan

CrispyFB Thu 23-Oct-14 17:23:04

They should accept your decision, I have been there when everyone (pre Harmony etc) couldn't understand why I didn't want CVS when I screened at 1 in 34 because, like you, I wouldn't terminate.

I don't know if you know or not, but one advantage to the NT bloodwork is that it can flag up a potential problem with the placenta later on. If it's known about it means you can be monitored more (including an extra growth scan) in the third trimester when baby can get IUGR. If the IUGR is too severe, they may deliver early. Might be worth doing just the bloodwork for that reason alone if it's not too late?

Of course, they should routinely do the growth scan at 28-32 weeks anyway (they do in many other countries) so then it wouldn't matter, but the NHS doesn't unless indicated by something like this.

BlueberryWafer Thu 23-Oct-14 17:33:23

CrispyFb

BlueberryWafer Thu 23-Oct-14 17:37:37

Pressed send by accident..

CrispyFB I am having a scan at 32 and 36 weeks anyway (as well as the usual 12 and 20 week), and they are keeping a close eye on me for other reasons (mostly due to previous pregnancy and birth). I'm not wanting extra blood tests etc as I've already had a ridiculous amount of extra blood work for other things and I'm shit scared of needles as it is grin

I discussed with my consultant and she was perfectly happy with my decision, it's the midwives that are pressuring me into the bloodwork and extra scan. I think they're just used to people going along with whatever they say.

CrispyFB Thu 23-Oct-14 23:07:35

Ah, if you're already having a scan at 32 weeks then there isn't really anything to be gained by the NT screening bloodwork. And as you're having a regular scan at 12 weeks then that's okay too. They should really get off your back!! It is totally your right to not want that information, doesn't matter why you don't want it.

Some medical professionals really don't like it when patients deviate from their norm!! Tough luck to them.

BlueberryWafer Fri 24-Oct-14 07:14:49

Thanks CrispyFB smile I was just shocked by how much pressure they were trying to put on me! In my first pregnancy they didn't even mention it again.

Tonih89 Thu 11-Dec-14 11:30:43

Hi I am only a couple of weeks pregnant with my first child, I am going to see the midwife for the first time on Tuesday and have been bombarded with leaflets about down syndrome testing, these test really concern me as they seem to be wrong more times than right, I'm unsure if it is even worth taking the test, does anyone have any advice or guidance about these tests? Thank you smile

Zahrah5 Fri 12-Dec-14 09:40:24

Tonih89

the tests are not wrong. These are screening tests, they will only give you probability that your baby has a problem, They are not telling you for certain that your baby will have a problem. They are just used to identify women who need futher testing. The further tests are CVS or amnio and these will give definite answer yes or no. However performing these has ceratin risk of miscarriage, thats why screening tests are given first to everyone and invasive tests only to cetrain high-risk group identified by screening tests.

From the sceening tests- if you can afford then Harmony or similar tests will give you answer very close to invasive tests as amnio or cvs. But you have to pay for these private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now