Advanced search

Has anyone terminated based on bad screening results

(15 Posts)
Fullofdread Fri 02-May-14 18:32:56

Rather than waiting in agony for cvs/amnio/harmony tests/results.

My gut tells me the sooner the better :-(

NitramAtTheKrap Fri 02-May-14 18:34:23

How bad?

Fullofdread Fri 02-May-14 18:36:44

1:5. I'm early twenties

Teaandtoast1 Fri 02-May-14 18:44:40

I'm 1:5 too at aged 34 so not massively a high risk age either. I've gone for harmony well it's called Nifty but it's the same thing. The waiting is hell and I too have a bad gut feeling but for me I wanted to know more before I made a decision.

It's tough though and only you can decide.

Good luck, I hope you are ok.

Fullofdread Fri 02-May-14 18:45:09

Please, am I am awful person for even thinking about this?

beershuffle Fri 02-May-14 18:49:51

Of course not. Its your life and your body, whatever your reasoning it is entirely your decision. Just make sure youre clear in your own mind about what you want to do.

eurochick Fri 02-May-14 18:51:42

You're not an awful person, of course, but personally I would have to know before I acted (it doesn't mean that you should). I understand the waiting is awful though.

You have a 20% chance of a problem and an 80% chance that everything will be ok.

You don't need to wait long for a CVS, do you? I thought that could be done quickly?

SweepTheHalls Fri 02-May-14 18:52:07

1 in 5 does mean 4 out of the 5 will be fine, I would have to know And have an amnio, but everyone is different and you must do what is right for you. Good luck.

Teaandtoast1 Fri 02-May-14 19:15:02

As others have said of cause you are not an awful person. It's a lot to take on and think about. Maybe way up each option and then you may feel clearer. It's the bank holiday isn't it so maybe have a think over the weekend, I'm sure you won't be able to think of anything else though. Xx

LuckyAugust Sat 03-May-14 07:12:43

You're not an awful person at all- I thought exactly the same. At our 12 week scan we found out our little one had a nt measurement of 6.88 so was referred for cvs 3 days later. We didn't have the bloods at this point but I knew this alone was a bad sign and rather than put myself through more agony (lots more problems before this in this pregnancy) I just wanted it over because I knew then it wasn't gonna work out. I remember even asking the midwife to be referred straightaway the day before I had the cvs but she gently said no. I think its only natural to feel like this, you get bad news and just don't want to prolong the agony. BUT I know if the midwife had of let me do what I asked in months to come I would have regretted it and wondered if I was one of the lucky ones who got the all clear, I would never have known for sure. It does happen, and that not knowing I think would eventually screw me up for the rest of my life. We did get bad news and whilst we're still struggling at times we made our ultimate decision based on the final results and have no regrets. Please hang in there- will pray for a good outcome for you x

LuckyAugust Sat 03-May-14 07:18:34

ps. We were 1:2 when we had blood results too. Like others have said 1:5 means there is still a good chance although I know to you it won't feel so great. Hope you have lots of support at home

bakingtins Sat 03-May-14 07:27:12

There's an 80% chance you would be terminating a healthy baby. What was said about the scan? Any soft markers for chromosome problems present? Or was it abnormal bloods that have given you a high risk result?
In your shoes I would absolutely go for a diagnostic test, you have to live with this decision the rest of your life, you need to make it based on knowledge of facts, not probability. Thinking of you during the wait, it is very stressful, and of course you are not horrible for wanting it over quickly, the limbo is awful. I hope you get good results and don't have a difficult decision to face.

Tinkleybison Sat 03-May-14 07:32:13

I did, but the consultant told me that there was a more than 1:2 chance and if it wasnt X it was Y so I didnt have any further testing. Tests afterwards showed that he was right. It did play on my mind until the tests came through - 'what if he was wrong?' - believe me, you dont want any extra regrets to deal with.

Have you thought about getting a private cvs to speed the process up?

Booboostoo Sat 03-May-14 07:52:56

The NT scan has a 5% false positive rate so personally I would go for the cvc/amnio as quickly as possible to have a definitive answer but wouldn't decide anything until that came in. I appreciate what you say about the sooner the better, but making the wrong decision quickly would also be very painful.

CrispyFB Mon 05-May-14 13:44:02

DC4 had a 1 in 5. Combination of terrible bloodwork (5.43MoM bHCG) and borderline NT measurement of 2.7mm.

She has typical chromosomes. There's a 1 in 5 chance of miscarriage in the first trimester for every pregnancy but nobody never gets pregnant because of that risk if you see what I mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now